MrCribbss

Rattlecan Paint

i started painting my first lure with rattlecan paint. the lure is also foiled, so i put some tape on the sides so that the paint wouldnt cover the foil completely.

but because of the tape there is a thick line from the foil to the paint.

i tried painting without the tape on but then the paint just covers all of the foil.

how can i make this foil > paint transition a bit smoother?

i hope u guys have some ideas, thanks in advance

Chris

Put a coat of epoxy over the lure, after you put the foil on. Then paint.

Nevermind! I can't read

If you're going to epoxy the lure after painting, you can spray the foil with an aerosol acrylic and use a wet q-tip to remove the overspray. This stuff is not designed for a final coat on a fishing lure, however, but, it will seal the foil for ya.

The holding the paper away from the lure will definitely work. Some guys years ago also got into using different tips on the rattle cans along with a permanent trough/stencil set up. A cradle was made to hold baits and then a think piece of wood, or cardboard was positioned to cover most of the bait. The ones I saw were a permanent set up so a guy could do a dozen baits or so at a time.

Check out Graffiti stores for different tips that may help out.

http://www.bombingsc...m/shop-tips.htm

Edited by Travis

1. I suggest appying a coat of epoxy before painting. This helps smooth out aluminum seams on back and belly, then the layer of paint on this epoxy will further help camoflauge the aluminum seams (not that they're really noticeable).

2. Use less paint. Hold can back further and press lightly.

3. Hit the back straight on.

4. Use a quality paint like krylon, tameya, testors, or house of kolor.

5. Here are some more caps to check out http://www.montana-cans.com/products/Accessories/Montana_Caps/6 (you don't need these caps though, I bought some a few years ago but have yet to use them)

6. Sometimes I will take a q tip dipped in paint thinner and very lightly rub the sides of the bait after spraying. This will make for shinier sides. Just be careful/don't go too high so you don't make a "noticable line" bw the back paint and the foiled side.