Matador Customs

Devcon Worming Problem

Quick question to the people that use devcon for top coat, have you guys had issues with the coat coming together and creating a clumps, im using a lure spinner to dry my lures. First time using devcon ive been using etex and that stuff evens out perfectly every time ive used it. I wanted a harder finish but didnt think this would happen. How can i avoid this.

When you say "clumps" are you talking about the epoxy sagging and leaving a high spot in the finish? If so you may be trying to put it on too thick. But I doubt this if you've been using Etex and not having any problems. Like Blackjack said you may have gotten a bad, or old, batch of epoxy.

I did thin it out with denature alchohol so i dont know if this is the problem. And yeah my lure now has small craters. As it dried i tried brushing it smooth and though it did help some spots have these craters. Etex has never let me down just wish it was harder. Im not giving up on d2t i like the hard tough shell it provides. I guess i need more practice.

If this is the first time you have used 2-ton and your used to brushing etex your probably trying to make it too thin. 2-ton is thicker and cutting w/alcohol will make the problem worse. If you brush to hard the brush will actually pull the epoxy off and leave brush strokes. Most will fill in but some marks will leave potholes. I'm guessing the clumps are from brushing it too long. Ya got to get 2-ton on there quick. Try one w/o the alcohol and see it it works better for ya....

If this is the first time you have used 2-ton and your used to brushing etex your probably trying to make it too thin. 2-ton is thicker and cutting w/alcohol will make the problem worse. If you brush to hard the brush will actually pull the epoxy off and leave brush strokes. Most will fill in but some marks will leave potholes. I'm guessing the clumps are from brushing it too long. Ya got to get 2-ton on there quick. Try one w/o the alcohol and see it it works better for ya....

+1 you really need to "load" up the brush and let it flow off.

I've used quite a bit of D2T and thinned it with DA. However when mixing up enough D2T to do just one bait I only add a couple drops of DA. I quit using Devcon here a while back and started using Bob Smith epoxy. I like it much better. It seems to have a little longer working time and the bubbles are easier to get rid of. I should also say that I don't use epoxy as a top coat. Only the seal coat. But the way I see it the application issues are the same for a seal coat as they are a top coat. I also use a quality artists brush to apply it. Since switching to a natural hair artists brush I can put on a coat of epoxy that is slick as a babies bottom. And if properly cleaned and taken care of they will last a long, long time.

Ben

great advice from all. I use D2T exclusively. Both for sealing and topcoat. The craters are fisheyes caused by oils from fingers or other. Make sure the epoxy is warmed a little. Mix slowly. I brush it on thick and firmly to burst the bubbles. Brush it on in a spiral fashion. Then, slowly brush from head to tail. Quickly work a butane lighter over the bait-one time. Warming the epoxy with a heat gun will eliminate thinning. Work quickly!

D2T is mixed 1.2 to 1. I use a jewelers scale that will measure in hundredths of a gram. 25$ well spent.

This time of year, it's impossible to brush D2T if you work in the garage like I do. I mix the epoxy and then mix in denatured alcohol a few drops at a time until it thins to the consistency of slightly warm honey. I don't warm it before or after. The DA approximately doubles the brush time. I haven't had trouble with fish-eyes/pot holes doing this. I think there is a little art in getting a good coat of D2T because the brush time is limited. Your brush has to contact all surfaces on the lure as you apply it but you don't want to over-brush it.

I'm ??? about trading Etex for D2T to get a harder topcoat. I like D2T for its one coat speed and work properties but don't feel it's harder when cured.

Mr. Ben of Rayburn gave me a lil hint a while back about applying epoxy. He said to exhale for a few seconds onto the bait after the coat is applied. I sure can tell the difference between now and before. For one thing...my coats are clearer. Before, they were kinda cloudy...I guess from air bubbles. Anyway, it works for me.

Since we're on the subject....what type of businesses carry denatured alcohol...hardware, paint, grocery? Also, where can I get one of them scales that Mark mentioned, or, is it really necessary? Although I've gotten better at applying epoxy....I'm still a little nervous about my measuring technique. :)

Thanks

Denatured alcohol can be found at hardware stores, auto parts stores that cater to body repair shops, paint supply stores or any of your "big box" home improvement stores.

The scales can be found for a good price on Ebay. D2T and Etex are designed to be mixed by volume at a ratio of 1:1 so you don't necessarily need a scale. When mixing by weight the ratio is a tad bit different. Something like 1.1:1 or 1.2:1. I weigh mine in equal parts and only mix up small amounts at a time. I've not had any problems with either the hardness or clarity of the epoxy doing it this way. Notice I said "small amounts". When mixing in greater quantities the error will be compounded and could result in some sort of failure.

And I think I told you to exhale onto the epoxy after it was mixed, but still in the mixing cup. Or whatever you use to mix your epoxy in. The combination of carbon dioxide and warmth of your breath is what bursts the bubbles and this is better captured in some sort of container than it would be on a top coated lure. But if the way your doing it is working then who am I to argue with success?

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

something that helped me with the fish-eye problem more than anything is wearing latex POWDER FREE gloves. From the time that the lures are sealed (w/ propionate in my case) I start wearing gloves and wipe down each lure w/ DA before painting to remove any oils. I wear gloves for all handling until the lure is 100% cured w/ clear coat. I haven't had any fish eye problems since.