VEKMIT BAITS

Tapping A Dick Nites Can?

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a can of Dick Nites Fishermunns' LURE-COAT(M/C Top Coat)S-81.I really like the way the baits look after fully cured and it's ease with clearing out the hangers and front eyelets etc.(had problems with other tops coats in these areas!)

As i do have bloxygen and spray it in the can after every use,it didn't matter,it got a skin over the top.I remove as much as i could,but after a couple more uses it look like it got oxydized,because there were small bubbles throughout and rendered it useless now.

Someone mentioned to me that some one on here actually taps the can somehow so as to never ever open the can to prevent this from happening and not need bloxygen,do any of you now what i'm talking about?Can this be done?,does it actually work? and how to do if it does work?

Thanks to all that can point me in the right direction!

Tim

VEKMIT BAITS

Just A thought, what if you leave the lid off and put the can in one of those bigger food saver bags and used the small hand held sucker thingy to suck all the air out i just used mine this morning on briskets i smoked yesterday i dont know if it will work on that but it sure does a good job on meat

The problem with cans is that you cannot tamp the lid back on consitently enough to really make it airtight. If you use Bloxygen and decant the can into a couple of smaller glass jars with good airtight lids, like Ball canning jars, your S81 will last much longer. The speed at which S81 begins to cure is related to how much S81 surface area is exposed to air moisture and how much air is above the S81 in any storage container. Minimize both those factors and it will last much longer.

I like to dip lures in S81, so tapping a can is not really a solution.

If you plan on "tapping the can" the best thing to do is never take the lid off. Just turn the can upside down and on the side at the top (which is now the bottom facing up) poke a small hole with an ice pick or other sharp object. Make your hole just big enough to get a sheet metal screw started and the screw will make whatever size hole it needs. I used the sheet metal screws like they use on metal roofing. They have a rubber gasket with a flange washer behind the gasket so it forms a water tight seal. While the can is upside down I also sprayed some Bloxygen into the can through the small hole I had just poked in the side. This leaves a blanket of Bloxygen on top of the DN inside the can.

When doing the tapping process think of what an Igloo water cooler looks like. This is essentially what you'll be doing except that you'll have a screw for a "valve".

Ben

• Like 2

How does the finish come out of the can with out air going in to release the vaccum effect? Just wondering, Musky Glenn

I had to "crack open' the top on mine to get it to come out, then sprayed Bloxygen in before resealing. Best way is like BobP said, put in different containers that seal.

Hi Everyone,

Thank You for all the info on this subject it was very helpful and might try it on my next qt can of DN.I've currently gone back to brushing(was dipping in DN)and have gone back to using Bob Smith's 20 & 30 min finish-cure expoxy.No bubble problems using this stuff as with the DN,don't know why i get bubbles when dipping in DN.No bubbles on the bait when put on my turner,only after it's cured,really pisses me off when this happens especially when you dip about 20 baits at one time(probably doing to many at one time).and "ALL " of them have these small bubbles.

When using the 30min you have more time to apply and you can probably get away with one coat,depends how liberal you apply it,bit i do 2 coats,anymore than this is to much and the bait looks deformed for lack of a better word.

When using the 20min you have a little less time to apply you need to definitely 2 coats.Never tried Devcon 2 ton,seems to expensive,around my area anyway.

Tim(the MIT in VEKMIT)

The problem with cans is that you cannot tamp the lid back on consitently enough to really make it airtight. If you use Bloxygen and decant the can into a couple of smaller glass jars with good airtight lids, like Ball canning jars, your S81 will last much longer. The speed at which S81 begins to cure is related to how much S81 surface area is exposed to air moisture and how much air is above the S81 in any storage container. Minimize both those factors and it will last much longer.

I like to dip lures in S81, so tapping a can is not really a solution.

Im looking at Ball canning jars on ebay, pretty expensive.Even with the shot of Bloxygen, will your jars be reuseable?

Reusable? No. I wouldn't re-use any jar for DN. I had my wife buy a dozen Ball canning jars at the local Dollar store. If it had been too expensive, I would have heard about it! If you dip lures, your DN will eventually begin to cure. Whatever you do - Bloxygen, etc, etc will delay but will not prevent it. By decanting into canning jars and using Bloxygen, I've kept DN for about a year, max. I've come to accept it as the nature of the beast because I REALLY LIKE the ease of use and the final product you get with DN. You can use epoxy on wood crankbaits and it works fine but there's really no substitute for DN if you want to coat metal spoons or dip repainted plastic baits.

• Like 1

Reusable? No. I wouldn't re-use any jar for DN. I had my wife buy a dozen Ball canning jars at the local Dollar store. If it had been too expensive, I would have heard about it! If you dip lures, your DN will eventually begin to cure. Whatever you do - Bloxygen, etc, etc will delay but will not prevent it. By decanting into canning jars and using Bloxygen, I've kept DN for about a year, max. I've come to accept it as the nature of the beast because I REALLY LIKE the ease of use and the final product you get with DN. You can use epoxy on wood crankbaits and it works fine but there's really no substitute for DN if you want to coat metal spoons or dip repainted plastic baits.

Thanks, I was searching eBay for jars. Maybe most of those were vintage collectible Ball jars. I'll have to go on a local dollar search. Or like you said, ask wifey to pick some up.

Heck i make a chicken and rice dinner using salsa about 2 times a month. I just save the jars from the salsa...wash them good and let dry completely and they work fine. If you want to dip and not "tap the can" just be aware you will have wasted product...

BobP correct me if i am wrong here.....but the more baits you dip = the more air thats introduced into the DN. Everytime you push a bait down you essentially are mixing air into the DN. This will make it cure even with bloxygen shot on top before you store it. Thus only put small amounts that you can use in about a month or so in each jar. seal the jars you are not using with saran wrap and a bloxygen shot and leave them be until u r ready to use them. This should cut down on wasted material but there is no way to prevent it with MCU's and Dipping baits. I have wasted A TON of DN!!!!

If there is a better way please let me know but i always have some that cures when i dip.

• Like 1

Matt, you're probably right about smaller jars but I feel like I gotta draw the line somewhere! I got almost a year of use out of my last DN quart, so I'm not complaining though I lost 1/3 of it to curing eventually - even with Bloxygen and quick dips! I decant a quart into 2 16 oz jars. I use one for dipping and the other to top off the dip jar. Most of my bass baits are short enough to dip in a Ball/Mason jar but not all of them - especially jerkbaits. For them, a salsa jar is the perfect fit. So I may use a salsa jar to dip and a Mason jar for storage next time around. I like DN. I like dipping. Enough that I'm not gonna get wrapped around the axle if I lose some of it eventually.

It's only money, right?