fishnart

What If I Love Your Lure Pattern?

nova, using the name: Ethical? Of course not. Illegal? Only if you trademarked the name.

There's a big difference between ethical versus legal. In the lure industry, the legal side is all that counts and competitors quickly copy anything they think will turn a buck for them. And on the legal side, all that really counts is what you are prepared to defend through legal action. You can trademark, copyright, or patent anything you want but unless you are willing (prepared to spend big bucks for legal representation) and able (got the big bucks), your position isn't worth spit... and the competition knows it. Recent case in point: the Alabama Rig. The guys who "invented" it (they are just little umbrella rigs, which have been around for decades) sold them as fast as their garage operation could turn them out. Then they got smarter and sold the rights to the Mann's bait company. This did not hamper every other medium to large size bait company from coming out with a version of the Alabama Rig within a couple of months.

I'm gonna assume that's not really what we're talking about here on TU. We're talking about someone's publically posted art work inspiring you as a hobby builder to try something similar. It's nice to give or receive credit where it's due, but I wouldn't feel obligated to ask permission beforehand. For me, it's not really an issue - If I tried to copy the TU Masters, I'd just embarras myself.

I am not speaking about legalities; I'm speaking about being a decent person.

My bait was not copied at all;( the bait is too hard to copy) it was the name of the bait that was used.

I don't believe that it was done on purpose; I'm pretty sure that the person didn't realize they had done it; but once it was pointed out nothing was done in the way of a name change.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

if someone copyed my bait i would hope that it could be improved on by someone else so i could recopy it and get better at making the bait then the first time around.

and if i have an idea and post it on here to toss around looking at what other people have to say helps everyone who reads the post and that is what T.U. is all about,

getting new ideas helps make a better bait that might catch us a few more fish on something we made becouse all the input we got from posting in the first place,if a newbee

ask for coments about his baits i'll let him know what i think of the bait both good and bad becouse only then will he learn to look at his baits from a differnt side

If you're right, and the name copying was unintentional, they should have changed the name once notified.

Trust me on this one Mark. There was one email conversation about it and then no more answers to my emails.

Just to make sure; my bait was NOT copied; only the name.

Sorry folks; I didn't mean to hijack this thread.

www.novalures.com

Edited by nova

A few years back I bought a couple baits from 6th Sense. I painted a few up resembling his primary shad pattern that everyone and their dog copied. He sent me a couple nasty messages and threatened he'd sue me. I told him to pound sand & asked if he had permission to use those photos in his ads(most of them are copyrighted if ya didn't know). Anyway, I said to myself I would never get upset and act like a 2 year old if someone ever copied me. So knock yourself out....

A few years back I bought a couple baits from 6th Sense. I painted a few up resembling his primary shad pattern that everyone and their dog copied. He sent me a couple nasty messages and threatened he'd sue me. I told him to pound sand & asked if he had permission to use those photos in his ads(most of them are copyrighted if ya didn't know). Anyway, I said to myself I would never get upset and act like a 2 year old if someone ever copied me. So knock yourself out....

LOL............ and now he should be buying yours to copy!

i like to take ideas from others and factory lures i like and have good results with and then just modify them a lil bit or add something diffrent to make it stand out from the other guys using the factory lure - ill be honest - i get most of my lure patterns by flipping through a bass pro catalog and go from there - a few i just tinker around with out of boredom and others i like just from going "i wonder what happens when....."

Its just the name of the game.. ive used (and talked to) SolarFall as inspiration on patterns/colors, but i try to make everything my own. I'm sure he got his ideas from anothers work.. and so on. This late in the game, its hard to re-invent the wheel.

I've seen a few of my ideas that ive done with a certain "store bought" stencil be copied and done from a few well known Painters and Sellers on eBay with the exact same stencil. It's not hard to figure out certain sources of stencils, colors. Is it frustrating, a little, but what can you do? Its not worth flipping out on someone and sending nasty messages like some have (in the above posts) It's just uncommon for another painter to give props for an idea or color they saw and hijacked. The ones that do show a lot of class and humility.

A high percentage of us Painters are using the same exact paint and we all know what colors are available from those brands. So it seems you keep your friends close and your enemies closer :halo:

If the guy is using a name that you have been using for your bait, the only thing you can do is email him and try to work it out. If you don't have the name protected legally, there is nothing that you can do.

Skeeter

Did that Skeeter and did it in a nice way. I know there is no legal footing. My problem is there is a little thing called ethics.

www.novalures.com