Brent R

Bass Skin

I just saw a swimbait in the gallery with bass skin on it....are you kidding me....Now we are killing bass to make a lure. :eek:

Looks to me like you could get the same look by using a airbrush.....Sorry for venting....but i release everything i catch......whats next.....stuffing a goldfish and hanging a treble hook of the back...

I fish with nothing but live bait myself. Wonder if it's legal to fish with three goldfish on trebles rigged on an "A" rig in TN. :? I'll get back with you on that one.

Not sure littleriver.....but i do know that bass love goldfish......I had a bass in a tank once...and that's what i feed him...sure was fun watching that bass smash them little suckers....

All seriousness aside, there really was lure maker here who was locally famous during the 60's for putting skins of goldfish on his homemade lures. Believe it or not!

I believe it.....but when i want to do that ..i just tie on a gold shad rap......It one of my favorite baits when i'm fishing tidal rivers

Well, really why do any of this? If we were hungry, we'd go to the grocery store. If the goal was just to catch fish, we'd use a net or a stick of dynamite. Do we need to develop what are really works of art (for most of you, not mine!) to catch fish? Of course not - plenty of folks catch plenty of fish with 2 dollar lures from walmart. While skinning a bass and sticking it on a lure sounds like an infuriating job to me, I think the idea is to try something new and check it out. Well, that's my take on it, I guess.

This is not the first fish skin lure posted here. Seems like many want to photofinish these days to get the realistic look rather than paint. If someone wants to take the time to remove then dry the skins, multiple coat with epoxy just to get a scale pattern, so what . Some even use actual gill plates, no thanks Dr. Frankenstien! Ha, ha,ha

Douglas

When i started this topic...i was just having fun.....I thought wow someone would really go to all the trouble to put bass skin on a lure.....

It was not intended to offened anyone are say it was a bad thing to do...as long as you eat the fish.....

I love this site and being able to read and post things about lures....Trust me i think you guy's are the best....I have learned so much from you..and i hope one day i can help others....

Again i'm sorry if i offened anyone....and i hope that we all can have a little fun as well as learn from each other on TU...

Brent

I got the idea of using real fish skin from another member who did it on this site. I throw back 99% of the fish I catch, but when I do keep one or two, it is to eat them. I prefer to use as much of the animal as I can when I do. I don't think deer are captured and released just to shave there tails for a buck tail. I was taught if you kill it, you eat it. I prefer to use as much of the animal as I can when I do.

I think you are within the boundaries of ethics. :)

Thanks Rayburn guy for directing me to the page. Hummm not sure. I can't really tell from the pic that its fish skin, seems like it would be a bit more work to me. Skinning the fish, treating the skin and then applying it to the bait, and that itself seems like it would be hard. I to taxidermy too and have worked with fish skins. I think it would be hard to put it on a bait. But hey, what ever works for you. I always throw mine back too, except for a striper or two when I wanna fry some up