Matador Customs

Rat Doest Walk

The other day i carved out a 5 inch topwater plug

I kinda wanted a rodent profile so i went with a pointed nose, round belly and of course a tapered rear that i drilled into to hold a worm for a tail. Well, i like the end result, visually, but when it came time to test, it just doesnt walk that great.

Im putting in links to pictures to see if you guys notice any flaws in the shape and maybe thats the problem. I concentrated 100% of the ballast

In the rear 1/2 inch from the end. It has a very fast eratic walking action, side to side in a tight zig zag

motion it almost does a full turn, i was hoping to get a bit more of a wider stride left to right like a punker or a super spook. Anyway its made from poplar, 5.100 in length and weighs a bit over an ounce. Any tips or criticism will help. Thanks.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j476/bunbury81/edba20fe.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j476/bunbury81/492c1be8.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j476/bunbury81/d9c0d295.jpg

Weighting is a big deal with walk the dog type lures. Without all hardware you can't get a true read on its ability. I would guess it sits high in the water. For best results I would want it to sit a little HEAD high so you are actually jerking it down. Might want the line tie on the tip of the nose. The tail will limit some of the walk as it will act as a rudder to keep it straight. Great looking lure, I'd like a photo of it sitting in water to see how it floats. Musky Glenn

I would start by moving the line tie to the point as Musky Glenn says. Really want in center mostly. Having it where it is now will spin the bait with each twitch as well as make it walk. Not something you want with a Rat. Could easily place bait in a bowl of water and photo so we could see how she sits.

I would flatten out that belly region a bit.The way it is the belly is acting like a keel on a boat, keeping the bait straight not letting it go side to side

X3 Take a look at the profile of a punker. The front third of the lure belly is almost like an angled ramp, to get the lure up and moving on the pull, while the back two thirds is more rounded, and almost straight from the belly hanger to the tail, so the heavier tail section can move past the head on the pause. The straighter belly on the rear helps the bait to glide, since a lot of the lure is in the water at the same time. I think your shape would make your lure tend to dig in and pivot, instead of gliding.

I would start by moving the line tie to the point as Musky Glenn says. Really want in center mostly. Having it where it is now will spin the bait with each twitch as well as make it walk. Not something you want with a Rat. Could easily place bait in a bowl of water and photo so we could see how she sits.

Your right about the spinning with each rod twitch.

You guys are good. Im gonna work on this lure tomorrow and work on everyones suggestion. First the line tie then the belly. Hopefully its just the line tie and a little ballast mod. I still have one question and ive been curious for a while especially when it comes down to WTD lures, is it better when the ballast is concentrated on one spot or in a couple spots.

The type of tail you use will also play a factor. At least it did on the rat bait I tried to make. I found if you add another hanger in the tail position and then use a hitchhiker spring to attach your plastic tail it will let the tail swivel thus allowing the bait more back/forth motion. Plus it is easier to swap tails.

i couldn't wait till tomorrow so i did what you guys suggested, centered the line tie and added a tail and SUCCESS!! or at least i like it. the lure already had a hole for me to put in a tail but when i first tested it i didn't put one in. this time i put in a fat senko and musky glenn was right, it acted as a rudder and slowed down that pivot and gave it a bit of a gliding action. heres the video and as always criticism is appreciated. just don't make fun of my test tank.. :lolhuh:

thank you guys for taking the time and sharing some very valuable knowledge :worship:

Of course the dog was excited about the action of the lure

must have been a .................Rat Terrier

Its my male pug, napoleon, he actually barks at airplanes, and i live close to March airforce base.

So it walks good right? This is my first succesful WTD lure ive made. Cant wait to carve some detail and finish it up.