Juice780

Fabulon?

I remember talking to a guy a while about top coats and he said a lot of builders use Fabulon for a top coat. Has anyone had any experience using this? I was wondering if u would have the same issues with storage as you would with mcu. I tried doing a search of this stuff but didnt find much. Here is a link showing all the kinds they make if I where to try it which one should I try? http://www.lewiscontractorsales.com/fabulon.html

Edited by Juice780

Having never used these products, I am hesitant to say any thing about them. I know these are made for residential clear finish needs. The main difference in polyurethanes for trim and floors is the percent of polyurethane in that specific product. Most polyurethanes don't stand up good to the effects of sunlight over a period of time. Most seem to turn yellow/amber with age. These are great products for residential use where they were intended to be used. I wouldn't expect to find great results when used on fishing lures, but I could be wrong. Polyurethanes are "oil" based products while moisture cured urethanes, I believe, are zylene based products and and an entirely different product. These work good for fishing lures even with their difficulties in storage.

I have used water born products quite a bit in residential use and didn't like them over the long haul. The finish never had that deep look like polyurethane does and it seemed to "disappeare" after a year or so. And all this information from a person that has never used this particular product! Musky Glenn

Having never used these products, I am hesitant to say any thing about them. I know these are made for residential clear finish needs. The main difference in polyurethanes for trim and floors is the percent of polyurethane in that specific product. Most polyurethanes don't stand up good to the effects of sunlight over a period of time. Most seem to turn yellow/amber with age. These are great products for residential use where they were intended to be used. I wouldn't expect to find great results when used on fishing lures, but I could be wrong. Polyurethanes are "oil" based products while moisture cured urethanes, I believe, are zylene based products and and an entirely different product. These work good for fishing lures even with their difficulties in storage.

I have used water born products quite a bit in residential use and didn't like them over the long haul. The finish never had that deep look like polyurethane does and it seemed to "disappeare" after a year or so. And all this information from a person that has never used this particular product! Musky Glenn

Some of these are polyurethane and some, like you said, are waterborne. One of them is a bowling alley finish and I would think it to be a much heavier duty than standard "residential" finishes. Don't get me wrong. I've never used any of these finishes either.

If I had questions about the product I would email Fabulon tech support and ask them about their finishes. One thing that Musky Glenn brought up that concerns me as well is if they have any UV inhibitors in them. UV inhibitors will keep them from yellowing over time. Another thing I couldn't figure out from reading the literature provided in the description of their product was how they cured. If they're an MCU (moisture cure urethane) then you will have the same storage issues associated with all MCU's.

hope this helps,

Ben