PhillyStriper

Swimbait Hardware Question

Iv been gearing up to start building my own swimbaits and I'm looking for some help choosing hardware to order online. I'm looking for stainless wire for making my joints and without being able to feel the wire before hand, does anyone have any suggestions on a gauge wire to buy that's not impossible to twist and not gonna come apart on me? And maybe A good place to order it from? I need a bunch of diffrent hardware for mold pouring and then it'll be replaced by a full threw wire after the molds made. Any help would be appricated.

Thanks

Jon

I get my wire from work. When a spool of stainless runs out I have to pull out a good 8ft strip out the lead and usually would throw it away. It's .035 stainless 316 wire. I have also get a few short tig wires that work for various things. They are a bit thicker and a lower grade at 308 but still work fine for twisted hook hangers. I've tried the stainless leader wire, flexible yes, but the only part that will be doing the flexing is the small portion between your bait sections. That usually isn't very long and those short bits don't flex much on there own. The few swimbaits I've made with stainless leader wire I had to put a lip on them to make the head jerk from side to side. The tail end just follows with the motion. Maybe use a lighter leader and have larger spaces but I still think you will need a lip to get the swimming action.

I started with Malin Hard Wire #12 .029" dia (190 lb test) stainless leader wire, carried by various sporting goods stores. It has a small diameter but I've never had it break. Any hard temper stainless wire in that diameter range is easy to twist and will get the job done. "Not impossible to twist" is sort of a spongey target to shoot for but lately, I've been using .031" dia hard temper stainless wire from McMaster-Carr. It's easy to twist on a bench vise, holding it with Vise-Grip pliers. Of course, the wire diameter depends on what kind of swimbait joint you plan to use. With screw-eye inside screw-eye joints, you can use smaller diameter wire. If you plan on a hinge-pin-through-2-screw-eyes joint, you may want a larger diameter wire so the hinge pin is more rigid.