SNOWMAN CUSTOM BAITS

Hook Hangers

I have only built two balsa crankbaits . I used screw in eyes for the line tie and to hold the hooks , didn't know about the belly weights at the time . I see most of you use twisted wire for line ties and hook hangers are they better than the screw in eyes ? I learned how to make the twisted wire eyes from this sight (thanks) so that is not a problem if they are better . I super glued the screw in eyes in place . Thought I would ask the experts witch were better .

I like the twisted wire eyes better than the screw eyes because to me they look better. The only screw eyes I've been able to find were way thicker than the wire I use and they just don't look right for bass sized lures. For me it's not that the twisted wire ties are in any way superior in performance, but that they seem to fit the size baits I build.

Ben

• Like 1

I asked the same question recently in another thread and here is the reply from Solarfall:

I mostly use hardwoods like oak or maple for jerkbaits. about the through wire vs screw eyes, i i make baits from softer woods like balsa then i would defineatly use through wire, the screw eyes wont hold in that at all but with hard woods its very secure with some epoxy not to mention its soo much more faster to use screw eyes than sawing the slot to hold the wire.

Edited by saiyani

Twisted screw eyes offer more surface area for glue to adhere so I prefer them. Also, I like to use epoxy because I feel superglue is strong but brittle and its glue bond can be broken by a sharp impact while epoxy has more "give". They do make impact resistant superglue but epoxy has always worked for me so I stick with it.

To some extent, it's a matter of preference. Some guys use factory screw eyes, like them, and never have a problem with them (especially in hardwoods). Personally, I like hand twisted eyes because you can make the loop any size you want to fit the size of the bait, and the shank any length you need. I also think soft temper ss wire or brass is superior for line ties since it allows you to tune the bait without worring about cracking the finish on the bait or the Lexan on the lip. Lastly, it's easier to mount split rings on thinner diameter ss wire than it is on the thicker diameter factory screw eyes. JMHO

I like the twisted wire eyes better than the screw eyes because to me they look better. The only screw eyes I've been able to find were way thicker than the wire I use and they just don't look right for bass sized lures. For me it's not that the twisted wire ties are in any way superior in performance, but that they seem to fit the size baits I build.

Ben

This post has a good point. In making your own custom bait using a twisted wire compliments that. Twisted wire is in no doubt a stronger hangar offering more surface area to be glued, but they can also be made to multiple sizes. Like Ben said there are only so many screw eye sizes made. With twisted wire you can make what size you need. When I make a small fat bait, a fat screw eye usually does the trick. Sometimes I do sit back and say that just doesn't look right. With wire you can always pull out a different size rod to form an eye that best fits your bait. Not to mention it's cheaper too. I think if you spend the time to make your own, it's time worth spent.

I prefer twisted wire for hangers and tie-ins for reasons already mentioned. Screw eye tie-ins are often thick and made with harder metal that is more difficult to tune (some are more or less untunable, other than super fine tuning by grinding off metal on one side with a dremel) than twisted wire. I prefer brass wire which is softer and thus easy to tune if needed. As far as superglue vs epoxy, i think both work fine. I use super glue mostly bc thats how i started out and so far (100+cranks later) ive had zero probs. Ive done 10-15 or so with epoxy and had zero probs also.

But the bigger the bait, the less the above matters, and screw in has advantages too.

Ben mentioned the "look" of screw eyes. I agree, especially on smaller cranks. I just dont like the look of small cranks (especially 5/16 or so oz and less) with screw eyes.