Mattlures

Anybody Here Have Any Original Ideas?

I have an idea but i seriously doubt it is original. Havent tried it out yet (one of these days lol) Basically its just either a jointed crank (with a shorter rear segment), or possibly just a feathered/dressed rear hook (or a combo of both or even something new/hybrid for the rear part)

For the lip, it would be a smaller lip (size about that of subsurface crank lip such as storm subwart maybe a little bigger) that is placed right up at the front like subsurface lips are. But instead of having it angled slighlty forward, have it angled back so that it caused the rear of the bait to rise up. The idea is to optimize the bait so that the rear of the bait makes the most commotion at the speed it will mostly be fished at (which i'm thinking would be faster). Im thinkink the lip would barely be angled back.

Anyone experiment with lips that are " angled slightly back"?

When entering contests like these there are a couple things you have to remember going in. They're not only looking for original ideas they are looking for ideas that can be commercially produced and then sold at a profit. This is just how business works. No two ways about it. You may have come up with an idea for a lure that will catch fish like none before it, but if it can't be manufactured and sold at a profit then it is very unlikely that anyone will ever see it in a tackle shop. The reason I bring this up is just so someone submitting an idea in one of these "contests" doesn't get discouraged if their lure is passed over. When we build lures you might say it is an act of love bordering on the obsessive. We want every aspect of it to be as perfect as we can make it. If it catches fish the cost of components and man hours it takes to build it are secondary to the finished product. Unfortunately you can't run a business like that.

In no way am I saying these contests are a bad thing. They are a great way for a lucky few to not only get some name recognition, but to make some money as well. Just don't let it discourage you if you have a great lure and it doesn't get chosen.

Just my :twocents:

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

I make baits to help me catch more fish and keep my retired a@# busy in the winter so i can fish in the summer,and i carve other things too so that helps,pay some bills(not many and small ones at that)I try something that might work and most dont so i try again and again,to make a bait that might do well in the market would be ok too but that also might take the fun out of it also as it then becomes WORK....not that i'm lazy im not just dont want to work for anyone else anymore jmo

I make baits to help me catch more fish and keep my retired a@# busy in the winter so i can fish in the summer,and i carve other things too so that helps,pay some bills(not many and small ones at that)I try something that might work and most dont so i try again and again,to make a bait that might do well in the market would be ok too but that also might take the fun out of it also as it then becomes WORK....not that i'm lazy im not just dont want to work for anyone else anymore jmo

Amen! Ain't nothing better than waking up in the morning and deciding what I want to do. (My wife's taking a nap right now so I can that without worrying about her seeing this. :D)

Gene

Seems to me the primary goal of this contest is to boost the sales of the Alumilite products. The secondary goal is to get a new product on the market for even more revenue. Smart thinking on Alumilite. Hopefully someone out there with that winning idea gets the chance to have there product on a store shelf. I know many out there have this goal. I'd be curious to see who wins. Not gonna be me, my designs will remain made by hand.

• Like 1

Not gonna be me, my designs will remain made by hand.

Same here Fishsticks. I've built a lure recently that has an action unlike any I've ever seen or used, but it took me over two hours just to get the ballast right to make it work like it did. (ended up moving tenths of a gram to different locations) And the thing about it is that the next piece of wood may be entirely different so there is no guarantee that the same amount of ballast will work in the next one. No company in their right mind would try to mass produce a bait like that. One thing about it though. I've got the only one.

Ben

• Like 1