RayburnGuy

Crankbait Ballast

I just tried to place an order with lurepartsonline for more belly weights. The ones with the wire hook hanger preformed into the weight. It seems they no longer carry these. I've done a search here at TU and the only other links I could find were to websites that no longer existed. I've also looked online and found some weights at Salty's, but these didn't have the hook hanger loop in them. Does anyone know where I can find the belly weights with the wire hook hanger in them so I don't have to build a mold and start pouring lead?

thanks guys,

Ben

I just tried to place an order with lurepartsonline for more belly weights. The ones with the wire hook hanger preformed into the weight. It seems they no longer carry these. I've done a search here at TU and the only other links I could find were to websites that no longer existed. I've also looked online and found some weights at Salty's, but these didn't have the hook hanger loop in them. Does anyone know where I can find the belly weights with the wire hook hanger in them so I don't have to build a mold and start pouring lead?

thanks guys,

Ben

i ordered some friday and they had some going to get them monday. do you do balsa wood crankbaits

Hadn't thought about that Fishwhittler. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks Muskie. They must have made some changes to their online catalog. I had bookmarked the page the belly weights were on and it wasn't valid anymore. Also did a search for "belly weights" as well as "weights" and still didn't come up with anything.

thanks again guys,

Ben

for those of you that make your own (melt lead). I suggest you try using large split shots (that do not have the wings). I take my twisted wire and clamp the split shot on with pliers. I've tried this with the egg sinkers before too, but I feel this is much easier. I normally spread the split shot open with a pair of diagonals, then lay the twisted wire in the gap, then crimp the split shot on.

The thing that I like most about crimping the split shot is that it "threads" the split shot. The benefit of this is that you can actually adjust exactly were you want the weight (since not all of my baits are identical, this helps to adjust for inconsistencies). Also, its much easier to find a wide variety of split shots than it is egg sinkers. Keep in mind, the #s on the sinkers vary depending on manufacturer. I use South Bend, and I stay consistent with using the brand to ensure my #s on the weights are always the same.

Hope this helps.

Live2Fish~Fish2Live