DeVeryTY

New Lures

Made a bunch of lures and was very happy with two new design's which are called: The picture's don't do them justice, I had a "wow" moment when I pulled them out of the kiln.

Pistachio guppy

http://groups.msn.com/HomemadeFishingLures/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=51

and Ghost guppy.

http://groups.msn.com/HomemadeFishingLures/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=49

What does everyone think?

DeVery

yarber_lures_ghost_guppy_small.jpg

yarber_lures_pistachio_guppy_small.jpg

578_thumb.attach

579_thumb.attach

I hope I'm getting pretty good at it, most times I get something useable out of the kiln. I guess the trial and error comes in on the color combinations, believe it or not you can burn colored glass and I know because I have. You wear special safety glasses at the torch (rose colored) which cut down on the glare so you can see the glass as you work it in the flame, some colors however only show after they cool so you can start with a yellow rod of glass and end up with a red lure. I have an entire directory full or lure pictures that I review before I start a particular lure. I have a strong Idea in my minds eye which I try to copy as I work. some times It's in the ball park but most times not. But the more I do it the closer they come. For instance the Pistachio Guppy evolved from my attempts at making a larger lure such as an squid bait. I reviewed a bead making video at my wife's suggestion and came across a technique called "Apple Coring" used for fancy jewelry and I thought wow now that would make a nice lure. In the next few weeks I'm going to make a whole bunch of lures using that technique with different colors. You can bet the best examples will be shown here.

By finished product do you mean hooks and hardware? Most I don't finish unless I give them to someone or test them and that depends on what I think will work best with the shape and size of the body. Most times I use a thin gauge steel wire, same as I use for my beaded spinners with a # 10 or 12 Mustad tri-hook. For the larger sized bodies I use 20 gauge steel wire and larger hooks, a 4 or 6 Mustad tri.

I don't dress the hooks, but I can and that would usually be a colored deer belly hair or red hen feathers. I guess I should post some of those.

I'd also welcome any suggestions on wire gauges to be used as well as hook size, I rig light because I'm fishing for under 4 lb. trout here but what do you use for Bass?

By the way I was out fishing on the Bow River this afternoon and lost the Ghost Guppy in the weeds, (The Bow is getting weedier every year) so we'll have to see If i can reproduce it.

DeVery