largemouthlad

First Balsa Wood Lure

i received a dremmel for christmas and some balsa wood and decided to make a fishing lure. its a simple popper. it pops and cast pretty darn good and looks decent for my first one. i went with a upside down look haha. not the best but they are only going to get better....does everyone air brush their lure or do some people paint them with a brush haha im really new at this stuff. the wood i used was kinda to soft anybody know where to get some good balsa wood....and what are the best paints..and where do you get the hook weigh system components? http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/attachment.php?attachmentid=34942&d=1326599141

thanks

some people spray paint there lures with regular spray paint out of a can others use a brush but most use an airbrush you can find some at a lower price i got one for 10 bucks

but its not the best for details but will work as for the wood being soft,yes it is soft wood(balsa wood) but you will be suprised at what it will hold up to with the right top coat most here use a two part epoxy type,as for the hook/weight system theres a tutorial in hard baits on how to make a good mold out of alum. flat stock you can buy at about any hardware store and it only take about 30 min to make it and should last a long time,or you can buy them at lure parts on line the links on here too hope this helps you out

I suggest when you go to buy more balsa, if you are going to uy it from a craft store, check each board in the size you want. You can order "hard balsa" from a supplier, but the wood that you get at a craft store will vary dramatically. The art store I go to, Blicks, restocks balsa regularly. As I am running low on my stock at home, and can't afford a shipment right now, I have been checking to supply at the store. I notice somtimes I can get what feels like hard balsa in the store. Simple squish it between your thumb and index fingure. You can feel a difference between really soft stuff and the harder stuff. Although it's not a scientific method, check a couple spots on the board and go for the hardest stuff you can find, pass on anything very soft. Or, try basswood, another common wood found at craft stores.

I recently made lures from the 1/8" x 3" x 36" balsa planks I got from Hobby Lobby. It was the hardest stuff I could find. It was quite easy to cut my blanks, get the internals built and glue the two halves together. I have historically used blocks myself but enjoyed this new process quite a bit.

Doesn't matter which. I guess whoever has the better price. May I suggest getting some Envirotex. I use that for my topcoats. Works really well. You can get that at most hobby stores and some hardware stores. I got mine at menards. Stock up on that epoxy though. It's amazing how fast you use that stuff. LOL. Great looking lure. Way better than my first. lol. Can't wait to see more of your stuff!