Dipping Lips

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jwfflipper

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

does it really add wieght to the bait to where it really effects the action? I have seen a lot of posts asking this I don't think it hurts one way or the other.
If you are building a bait from scratch, do you really know what the the bait is going to do or how it will dive if you don't understand hydrodynamics anyway? :? :?
Just asking.

Edited by jwfflipper, 15 January 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#2 gekhang

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

i use poly urethane and it goes on really thin and so i would normally dip the whole lure once and just the lure body afterwards. have not had any ill effects to my lures. dont know how heavy dev 2 ton or some epoxy would affect it though.

#3 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

I think any little thing you do to a bait will change it some way but as a general premiss, no, I don't think a single coat of urethane on a lip will significantly change the performace of most crankbaits.

#4 bbf

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Not until it starts to release from the lip! LOL! Its happened to me. I noticed the bait didnt have the same thump and looked at the line and it was running crooked. Upon inspection I seen the mcu had raised up and causing the bait to run crazy. So now if using mcu I only coat far enough to cover the bait.