MrCribbss

Balsawood And Screw Eyes

is balsa wood strong enough for screw eyes? im not a big fan of screw eyes or twisting my own wire screw eyes. i think its ok for some lures like hardwood swimbaits, but im not sure about balsa wood. i just like trough wire lures more.

i want to make a swimbait out of balsa, what would be the best way to do that?

should i cut the blank in half and put the wire and weights inside or should i make a groove in the belly of the lure?

ive done some lures with a groove in the belly, im pleased with the results but unfortunately i still cant upload any pictures in the gallery.

thanks in advance,

Chris

I wouldn't use screw eyes on a jointed balsa swimbait. I like cutting a balsa bait in half and rejoining it with epoxy to provide a strong backbone for the whole bait. I lay the hardware into grooves and I make the wires extra long with bends in them but I don't use a continuous wire frame. I'll also make extra grooves in stress areas just to hold extra epoxy. Swimbaits take a lot of punishment around the joints and it's a lot of work to build one so personally I'd choose a harder wood.