Workman

Flat Finish Top Coat

Been reading and learning from this site for about two months now, great talent and great resource! I was curious if anyone could recommend two things I am struggling with,

1. Any recommendation for a good topcoat that has a flat finish, dont want all lures to be shinny, can anyone help.

2. When I tape off a lure lip and then after the top coat is cured I score with an exacto knife but I am still experiencing tearing around were the lip and body meet, any suggestions?

any reply is appreciated Thanks!

How are you applying the top coat? If your leaving the tape on to keep top coat off the lip just remove the tape after applying the top coat. I spray auto clear so I leave the tape on the lip while spraying and take it off before allowing the auto clear to cure. It can be a little tricky to do this, but once you do it a couple times you'll get the hang of it. I try to make sure the ends of the tape are easily accessible to make removal eaier.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

ive been using a poly urethane called varithane and its worked great for me. tiny bit soft and dries thin, but havent had any issues with peeling. I accidentally bought a satin finish quart and satin cleared a few baits without knowing. well they all dried with a satin finish. pretty cool i thought! still returned it though. you should give it a try, not too expensive and can be found at menards.

ive been using a poly urethane called varithane and its worked great for me. tiny bit soft and dries thin, but havent had any issues with peeling. I accidentally bought a satin finish quart and satin cleared a few baits without knowing. well they all dried with a satin finish. pretty cool i thought! still returned it though. you should give it a try, not too expensive and can be found at menards.

Only problem with that polyurethane....if it's not a Polycrylic it's gonna yaller over time. On a fishing lure...it will actually change the color.

Target Coatings had a flat finish water borne urethane that doesn't yellow. I use it sometimes for my baits.

But flat film finishes aren't as strong as gloss, so I do two dips in the gloss, and then one in the flat.

Here's the link:

http://www.targetcoa...eries-25-1.html

Or you can look at their EM9300, which is an exterior rated urethane. It isn't super clear, and three dips gives a less crisp, almost flat finish.

Edited by mark poulson

Maybe build a mini tumbler from a bucket and an old drill. You could use sand as the medium and run your cured lures thru it for a little while. Should give a smooth satin finish without scratching them up. I would mask up the bill tho.....

If you dont know what this is already I could explain it in more detail....Just ask.

Sonny

• Like 1