Cormorant Lures

Hand Pouring Two Color Baits...

I have yet to give in and buy an injector... At the moment, my equipment of choice is two totally awesome presto pots from Bear's... My question is as follows: Is there an easy way to use my presto pots to my advantage to pour two color baits?!? I would really love to figure this one out... Anyone have some good ideas?!? Is there anyway around the divided cup method, and if not, is it possible to use it without throwing it in the mic?!? Please let me know!!! Thanks!!!

Cormorant Lures

A buddy of mine and myself are working on a project (starting today) that could REVOLUTIONIZE the process of making two colored hand poured baits... If things turnout well, THIS FORUM will be the first to know about about it... I believe this concept will work, it just might take a few tries to get it figured out... Wish me luck!!!

Cormorant Lures

Like I said above, I will definately keep this forum informed of my project progress... During the day, I am a quality control inspector for a CNC machine company... Perfect place to make the prototype(s)... We are currently in the process of making our first prototype to prove that the concept will work... As I also stated above, my equipment I am currently using is two presto pots from Bear's... This new piece of equipment will be used in conjunction with the presto pots... I REALLY hope this works!!! Two colored baits have been virtually out of my reach ever since my microwave almost caught on fire!!! From that point on, I haven't really been able to trust putting metal back in there without thinking of the possible repercussions... So I have came up with a process to avoid the microwave all together... As soon as a successful trial run is achieved, I will let you know!!!

Cormorant Lures

which injectors do you have?

I have the basstackle twin-injectors and was able to get a couple tips from folks here about how to maybe fix my problem. I sure am glad this forum is here. Thanks guys. I hope to get back to pouring some baits (my new hobby) after finishing a bathroom remodel.

Update: The prototype we made WORKS and overall it works pretty darn good!!! I made two batches of two-colored sticks using the prototype... Of course with any prototype there are always going to be issues that need a little tweaking here and there, but I am happy with the overall performance... For those of you who are always looking for another hand-pouring option for two-colored baits, I think I am on the right track... :D

i hand pour all my stuff, it not all orig. or the best but ive found that with the baits that i pour ive poured 4 colors on one bait, its fairly simple as long as you let the first color get a "skin" so you can pour the other colors without mixing. the trick is to pour from one spot in the mold so the plastic flows by itself. if you let it set up to long the layer will not bond together. i pour all mine from pyrex cups so i dont use a presto either- my .02

Edited by eric001

ohh yeah, i dont use divided cups either, most lures im pouring are 4+ oz. of mat. i heat 2-3 up at the same time in the microwave, but the color layer go the length or portions of the bait depending on if i tilt the mold ect.... so the way i do it it hard to get a bloodline, or colors side by side. mine are poured in sections lengthwise or segmented along the length of the lure. ive never used an injector or a presto pot so I cant compare my methods to any other.. it was 4 yrs of trial and error for me

Edited by eric001

We're still waiting Cormorant, you must work loooonnnngggggggggg shifts :whistle:

LOL!!! I'll tell you what... I plan on making a couple more batches of two colored sticks this weekend with the prototype... I'll take some pictures of the finished goods and load them to this post and the gallery once I am done... I'll let everyone in on the entire "operation" once we are completely out of the prototype stage and are ready to produce a few good ones for the marketplace... ;)

Alright, I'll tell you what... The suspense is finally over!!! I'll let the cat outta the bag and let you in on my little secret project... What we did is take old technology and put a minor spin on it... Basically we took the design of an existing "blending block" and modified it in a way to connect to two presto pots... We incorporated a shut off handle right into the block to control the flow just above the sprue... We used fittings that will fit the ball valves on the existing setups that Bear sells in order to connect the block to the pots... All we had to do to make sure the block did not clog right away was pre-heat it... Our method of choice was to use a blow torch... I have just finished pouring HUNDREDS of bags of 5" laminated sticks this way... Took a couple trial runs to get used to, but with practice came almost FLAWLESS baits... As fast as my wife could demold was as fast as I could pour!!! It does not produce an exact 50/50 bait, but it produces baits with more of a "natural" non-perfect parting line... I posted a sample picture of the sticks in the gallery... We would like to manufacture these blocks to sell if people are interested... Depending upon the interest will also affect the price point... I would like to keep the block as affordable as I can... If this sounds like something you might be interested in, let me know!!!

5" Laminated Sticks made with new Presto Pot Blending Block...