bassrecord

X-y Axis Table Use?

I use an x-y table more for ease of use than anything. It is like anything else.....it's only as precise as the user utilizing it. For most bait making work it will not be necessary IMHO. But, they do have their place in a machine shop/tool room, etc.

As for the tilting table, I've never used one. I've always just cut pieces of wood at the angle I need to put in my drill vise as a backer to hold what I'm drilling at the correct angle. I've always wanted a tilting vise, just never owned one and make do with what I have.

I'm sure some of the guys with more machining experience will chime in shortly.

Good Luck!

I've worked in a machine shop and used alot of diff. set ups but for lure/bait making i just use my reg. drill press and have made jigs to fit what i make so i can repeat it as many times as i need to without moving anything,most of the holes/slots are put in before doing any carving becouse thats when everythings square and straight

• Like 1

Thank you for the input.

I'm looking at the Proxxon KT 70 Compound Table to move the jig I made to hold a popper which is held in a small vise as work moving along a X-Y axis to line up an angle drill.through the work popper from side to side along a Z axis. My drill press makes a Z axis when it turns 0 to 90 degrees but the angle drilled is a right angle (90 degrees) to the X-Y Axis. Thanks knifemaker3. I'll use wood pieces or shims cut to make the correct angle to the drilled angle and see how it works out. A tilting table theoreticially should replace making angle wood pieces or shims. But would it?

Probably going to get the KT 70 table and try it out.

Thanks again for the help.

John