MrCribs

Coloring Epoxy

i want to make some perch patterns ''rapala style'' but i cant find any transparent yellow paint. so i was thinking about putting on a layer of transparent yellow colored epoxy after foiling, but i dont know what i could use to color the epoxy and if that actually works. if id put non transparent paint in the epoxy would the epoxy loose its tranparency ? i was wondering if you guys maybe have experience with this or any advice.

thanks in advance,

Chris

Jblaze, i have no idea mayb its worth a try ;)

crzyjunyer, at the moment i only have rattle cans, i just started making lures. some colors are transparent the first layer, others arent. (the green version is, the yellow isnt). the problem with these paints is i think that they are water based (water carried). im not sure but i dont think they are suited for mixing with epoxy, and i dont know how to reduce them.

Hobby lobby here has transparent yellow. Micheals has createx as well clearanced.

Something I do is thin whatever paint i have on hand. i mean really really thin. You'll need a medicine cup and a paper clip or similar. Dip the clip in the paint and put two or three spots on bottom of cup. Now depending on the paint your thinning agent. Usually four or five large drops and mix with the clip. Test the consistancy back of plate with a brush and dilute till it suits you. Now you have your own transparent color. The trick is to really dilute out the pigment.

Good luck!

You could also use powder based colorants. They tend to be fairly inert and do not impact reactions.

A friend recently bought some very fine, shiney pigment for working with polymer clay when we were in hobby lobby. It's almost like glitter, except a thousand times finer. I suppose it could be the metalic flake thats in pearlescent paints. Anybody tried mixing this stuff with epoxy/ e tech?

Could you use some rattle can clear over the foil and then shoot some transparent Createx over that? Im not sure I understand the need for tinting the clear coat epoxy. Maybe I misunderstood the question. I do hower see how one can make transparent out of colors that normaly are not trans. This opens up some new areas for me to think about. Thanks for that.

Could you use some rattle can clear over the foil and then shoot some transparent Createx over that? Im not sure I understand the need for tinting the clear coat epoxy. Maybe I misunderstood the question. I do hower see how one can make transparent out of colors that normaly are not trans. This opens up some new areas for me to think about. Thanks for that.

I think the problem he's having is that he can't find any transparent yellow paint that's available in his area and he is trying to come up with a way to work around that problem.

Like I said " I didnt understand the question" That is normal for me. However in thinking about tinting the epoxy, it may give the bait a totally differnt hue of color on top of the regular paint, maybe it would create a whole different range of colors ect. Maybe it would be a good application in the area of a "ghost" bait of some sort.

Man I love this forum :worship:

You can add paint to epoxy but I don't think it will give you the results that you want. I would stick with finding the right paint. What kind of paint do you currently use? If it is water based then find transparent createx at a hobby store or off of the internet. Super thinning any paint to get it transparent is not really good either. You really have to shoot it VERY lightly through the air brush or else it will run. If you shoot lacquer then go kind of heavy with retarder. This will work but again it can run. You would have to shoot multiple light coats. I have seen guys use Zoom coloring markers to get the effect after the lure is clear

coated. It works but it is not very professional looking.

Skeeter

A friend recently bought some very fine, shiney pigment for working with polymer clay when we were in hobby lobby. It's almost like glitter, except a thousand times finer. I suppose it could be the metalic flake thats in pearlescent paints. Anybody tried mixing this stuff with epoxy/ e tech?

I have used that glitter and used it in conjunction with devcon, if you are talking about the polymer stuff. It works beautifully and lays down smooth.

I have used that glitter and used it in conjunction with devcon, if you are talking about the polymer stuff. It works beautifully and lays down smooth.