PhillyStriper

Airbrush Paint

Hey guys, I'm new to lure making and still getting geared up. The guy at my local hobby shop has been helpful as far as what gun..filter..etc But when it comes to type of paints to buy, I wanted to refer to people that are doing what I'm doing. I will be making my lures from balsa as a prototype and then making a mold and then making my replicas from Alumilite clear or white ridgid urethane. So what brand and type of paint should I buy for painting urethane lures & also what kind of clear coat also? And one last thing, should these be sprayed with any type of sealer before painting? Any help would be much appricated. I did search the forum for this and just wanted more specific directions.

Thanks

Jon

welcome to the UNDERGROUND... you poor sole start by getting a basic set of colors and go from there(red,yellow,black,white,blue,green)and add a few pearls white and gold ect..you can buy createx paints or just go to the local hobbie shop /wal-mart and buy some craft paint like folk art or something like it as its a watter base paint and is easy to thin(look up thinning paint on here for how we do it) as for sealing the wood yes it will have to be sealed with a wood sealer or epoxy so when you paint it and heat set the paint you don't get air bubbles coming out of the wood and wrecking the great paint job you just spent 3 hours on.I prep my bait by a good cleaning in hot water to get any oils /release agent off the baits so i don't get fisheyes in the paint as for sealer on the alumilite krilon spray paint for plastic is what alot of guys use? hope this helps

john aka crankpaint

Jon, The TU search feature can help. Search the Hardbait Forum for "sealer", "undercoating", "paint", etc. Clearcoats are historically the most discussed topic here on the forum and a few searches on it will provide more posts than you can read in a month.