DeVeryTY

Wire diameter question

I currently use .020 diameter stainless steel wire on most of my lures, most are around a inch long, and less than a 1/3rd of an oz. The wire is rated at a 86# test so I feel it's adequate, but is it?

What it is though is easy to wrap, should I be using a thicker diameter wire? I bring this up because I wrapped some .030 diameter wire and it looks like crap and is hard to work with using just a pair of needle nose pliers.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

DeVery

Thanx for replying Skeeter. By wrapping I mean closed hook hanger. Here is what I mean by looking like crap, compare my 020 dia. wrap to my 030.. I hate to send out something that looks like that. I can make a wire wrap form by hammering some nails in a block but I still would prefer to have a neat look, like in the 020 example. Does everyone who use wire just have the "gift" of wrapping steel wire or do I have to buy a $200 US wrapping machine.

Now I'm also worried that .020 is too thin. What do you think?

DeVery

030_diameter_wire.jpg

020_diameter_wire.jpg

030_diameter_wire.jpg

020_diameter_wire.jpg

030_diameter_wire.jpg

020_diameter_wire.jpg

030_diameter_wire.jpg

020_diameter_wire.jpg

030_diameter_wire.jpg

020_diameter_wire.jpg

030_diameter_wire.jpg

020_diameter_wire.jpg

030_diameter_wire.jpg

020_diameter_wire.jpg

030_diameter_wire.jpg

020_diameter_wire.jpg

586_thumb.attach

587_thumb.attach

Dude I just don't know. I see now what you mean. The only thing that I can suggest is get the lure with a .020 wire in the fishes mouth and find out. I personally have never messed with wire that thin. It may be just fine. You'll just have to try it. There are all kinds of wire benders at all kinds of prices. Some are as cheap as $20. Maybe some of the guys in the wire bait section of the forum could help you select the right one. These guys bend wire all of the time. I'm sure they could help you out.

Skeeter