bassercl

Painting Over Topcoat?

I did a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for so, I'll ask. Is it possible to paint over a recent thin topcoat (bob smith 20 min), and then apply a new topcoat? The reason I ask is that I'm not very happy with one of the colors on some recent baits I painted and cleared. Since I only need it darker, I didn't know if I could spray another coat over the topcoat, and then retopcoat it? Or better to just sand/rough up the spot and then paint. Obvioulsy, I'm trying not to have to redo the entire baits if possible. It may be just one of those, "depends on how good you want it to look" things. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

You sure can. If you are using water based paints then you need to be careful that it does not run. A dry shoot thru the airbrush would be best.

Skeeter

I do.

Hey Jeff what's been going on with you my friend?

Been awhile since we talked

See you're still in NC. Come see me in Greensboro at the boat show.

I will be in the Sportfishermans center booth selling my lures. I still live in WV

Name of my baits is RIVERVALLEYCRANKBAITS website is still down but all of my stuff is on Facebook

check it out if you have a page there

Jeff Francis

Those of us who are less talented with an airbrush can use this to our advantage. If you have trouble spraying fine details all you have to do is paint the basic pattern on your lure and then go ahead and top coat it. After the top coat cures come back and add details such as kill spots, gill markings, eyes, etc. over the top of the cured top coat. Doing it this way allows you to just wipe off any screw ups and start again without ruining the whole paint job.

Ben