sammy01007

Sanding Drum

Because of the speed I would be as afraid of the router/sanding drum as a 'possum is an ax handle. If you'll check the sanding drums there should be a recommendation as to the highest RPM's they can be safely used at. I could be wrong, but I believe that most wood routers run anywhere from 10 to over 20 thousand RPM's. and I doubt you can find a sanding drum that will run at those speeds.

Ben

Too dangerous.

Sanding drums are designed for low speeds, and will come apart at 26,000 rpm's, or what ever speed your router runs.

I have a big router with variable speed, but even the slowest speed is way too fast.

Even if you could get a drum to handle those speeds, sanding at that speed will burn you wood.

Don't try it, please!

Ok, thanks for all the concerns. I will definitively abandon that idea, lol. I hope to get a band saw next weekend, then I'll have to save my pennies for a drill press. I suppose if I going to use it mostly for sanding, I wouldn't need anything fancy. Just have to make sure the bed is square to the drum.

All the concerns above are justified, I only add that the cause of the problem is the added pressure that you inadvertently put on the tool with a fixed router arrangement.

It may seem that your use of a drill press seems limited, hardly justifying it's purchase, but once you have one, you will gradually find more and more uses for it. The same goes with the other two big machines, the belt sander and the band saw. I would not be without any of them, even it I stopped making lures.

Dave

You can kill two+ birds with one stone, if you buy the Rigid Oscillating Belt and Spindle Sander at Home Depot.

It takes standard 4X24 belts, and can be coverted to a spindle sander and back to belt really easily. And having it ocillate, going up and down while is spins, keeps the sand paper from loading up.

I'm good at spending your money, I know, but it is really a great little machine.

You can kill two+ birds with one stone, if you buy the Rigid Oscillating Belt and Spindle Sander at Home Depot.

It takes standard 4X24 belts, and can be coverted to a spindle sander and back to belt really easily. And having it ocillate, going up and down while is spins, keeps the sand paper from loading up.

I'm good at spending your money, I know, but it is really a great little machine.

I wish I had listened to Mark when I was buying a sander. I opted for the belt/disc sander instead and while it does the job I can see where the sander Mark spoke of would have been a much better choice. Especially when doing inside contours. To sand inside contours on the belt/disc sander you have to "eyeball" the lure square while holding it on the rounded portion of the belt. I've gotten to where I can get them pretty square, but the table on the sander Mark is talking about will hold it square for you. Takes out all the guess work. Mark has been a carpenter for a longggggggggggggggg time. It might pay to listen to him. Sure wish I had.

Ben

P.S. Sorry about the "longgggggggggggg" time thing Mark, but I can't help it if your older than dirt. :lol::D:lol:

Edited by RayburnGuy

Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. Although it's a bit more than a cheap drill press, the unit looks nice. I have never owned a Rigid tool, but have heard good things about them. Between that and a band saw will make a huge difference in the time it takes me to build lures. Right now the only power tool I use is a dremmel tool. My goal for next week is to:

• Move to NJ
  • Buy a band saw, Rigid sander, PVC trim board
  • Build & finish the swimbait I posted in the gallery using PVC instead of wood