cdbassman

Trying To Make A Rigs?

I have been making a rigs with tin bismuth and lead heads, and would now like to try epoxy heads. I am using a swim jig do-it mold; how should I go about making epoxy heads? I have been told to use pam vegetable oil before putting epoxy in the mold; I just a little leary about trying it yet. And also what kind of epoxy would you suggest? Thank you in advance for helping out.

I use Alumilite for the casting and have tried spraying the mold with Pam, WD-40 and several different lubes that I purchased from Lowe's a couple of them had a teflon formula which I thought would slick it up and keep it from sticking. None of them made it any easier to get the casting out of the mold. If you let it cure beyond a certain point, getting it out destroys the casting and really makes a mess inside the cavity which has to be cleaned before you can use it again. Taking it out before it reaches that certain point does the same thing. The easiest way in my opinion to make what you are wanting to make would be to pour one in lead and make yourself a silicone mold of it which which will not stiick to any thing but silicone.

Hopefully, some one else may know of something that will keep it from sticking to an aluminum mold. Anyone?

Everything you need is on makelure.com, they have several different mold making materials and casting resins. I built my a-rig molds out of their silicone mold material, and have cast over a 100 with the 2 little molds I made. it's easy to use and works great!! It was about a $70 investment, but that was enough stuff to make at least 150 heads.

How do you build the mold? I am an amateur at lure building unless it concerns jigs or spinnerbaits. So, I buy the starter kit, build a silicone mold, and then pour the resin? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Everything you need is on makelure.com, they have several different mold making materials and casting resins. I built my a-rig molds out of their silicone mold material, and have cast over a 100 with the 2 little molds I made. it's easy to use and works great!! It was about a $70 investment, but that was enough stuff to make at least 150 heads.

I basically just followed the dirrections, they have several videos on the web site. You do need to build a complete rig first, I used a little panfish crankbait for my head with just a few modifications. I shaved the lip and hook hangers off, split it in half, ran my wires through it, glued it back together, and there was my master. The rest I just followed the directions, if you've poured spinnerbaits a such with lead you won't have any problems.

I use Alumilite for the casting and have tried spraying the mold with Pam, WD-40 and several different lubes that I purchased from Lowe's a couple of them had a teflon formula which I thought would slick it up and keep it from sticking. None of them made it any easier to get the casting out of the mold. If you let it cure beyond a certain point, getting it out destroys the casting and really makes a mess inside the cavity which has to be cleaned before you can use it again. Taking it out before it reaches that certain point does the same thing. The easiest way in my opinion to make what you are wanting to make would be to pour one in lead and make yourself a silicone mold of it which which will not stiick to any thing but silicone.

Hopefully, some one else may know of something that will keep it from sticking to an aluminum mold. Anyone?

COOKING OIL.. works. PEANUT OIL. OLIVE OIL..