saiyani

Filling My Through Wire Slot And Sealing

Hi all.

I have carved a lure from oak, and cut a lip slot and a through wire slot in the belly which runs the entire length of the bait. There are a couple of pictures attached.

The next stages are:

1. Fill in the through wire slot.

2. Seal the wood.

So regarding filling, I understand from many sources that I can use epoxy to fill the through wire slot? The same epoxy I will use to coat the lure after painting unless I'm mistaken ie Devcon / Envirotex / C&W Lure Epoxy? Would you also attach the lip slot at this stage? I was thinking that would make sense if I use epoxy, because it might be difficult to fit the lip after due to the slot being full of epoxy. However if I do fit the lip slot now I wouldnt be able to dip the lure in sealer after....or maybe I could and then wipe off the lip slot or brush on the sealer rather than dipping....? This is more complicated that it seems :) What do you guys think?

Also is using epoxy for this the best / cheapest / quickest way in your opinion? If not, what do you use and why? If you do use something else then if possible could you post a link to it. I'm living in Sweden, and as a non native speaker I find it difficult to locate / translate the names of things from English to Swedish. If I have a specific product I can show it to them on my phone and hopefully the person in the store can help me find something like it :) If your living in Sweden and could tell me what you use for this process and where to buy it that would be even better :)

Regarding the sealer its the same sort of questions I guess. I have seen many sources saying that sanding sealer is a good thing to use here. But again its hard to find the Swedish version of this. What about these products which I can buy in a large hardware store here.....any good for sealing lures?

http://beckerspaints.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=50&category_id=10&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=44

http://beckerspaints.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=54&category_id=10&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=44

Your help would be most appreciated.

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

post-28412-0-97486000-1327917848_thumb.jpg

post-28412-0-45002500-1327917861_thumb.jpg

I fill slots, gaps and voids with polyester resin. This is the putty stuff used for automotive body filling work. You usually get a small tube of hardener to add a dab and mix in. It hardens fast and can be sanded down in an hour or less.

As for sealing, so many alternatives here. Personally, I use super glue also known as CA glue or cyanoacrilate glue, the stuff that dries in seconds. I can get it cheap here, but it may be cost prohibitive in Sweden. I seal before doing any filling.

Hopefully more members will jump in here and help you with more alternatives.

Dave

Saiyani

I am a bit new to this myself . I am finding to achieve the cleanest look it is best to fit the bill last with epoxy. As far a fillers, I have tried just about everything except what Dave is suggesting . I have heard of many using bondo( a car product used to smooth body work). One thing I did not like about the epoxy is the hardness. It is much harder than wood. This makes it hard for you to sand it down smooth. The wood will have a tendency to sand before the epoxy filer. A strong filler that sands easily would be best. Mixing wood dust with the epoxy will make it a bit easier to sand.

My favorite seal if you have time is a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. The longer the soak the deeper it penetrates and the more you lose buoyancy so keep this in mind should you try it. Also very flammable! It will need to dry for several days until odor fades as well.

Your off to a great start. I like the lures shape. Good luck!

vic

I would stick to a two part epoxy like E-tex. You should be able to find something similar it was design as a coating for bar tops and table tops the reason for this is you can also use it for a clear coat on top of paint I believe some guys that build boats use epoxy mixed with regular baking flour for filling .And I remember when I started out finding one product that could do several applications was very appealing.

You might not be able to find E-tex but I am sure you can find some similar product that will work just as good but I would definatly go with a two part mix and something that has a longer working time stay away from the five minute epoxy

Maybe go to a store that has boat repair stuff or tell a hardware clerk you want to build a bar.

Oak is heavy stuff; hope your bait floats - if you want it to! I use epoxy putty to fill holes in baits, not liquid epoxy that tends to flow all over the place. You can get putty logs at any home center in the adhesives section. Cut off a piece, knead it until the color is uniform, push it into the hole, and smooth it out with a damp finger. It has a density that's close to many hardwoods. You need to do any sanding it needs about 5 minutes after you apply it, before it cures really hard.

polyester putty here too, for harder wood baits. for softer ive used putty thats used for filling plaster board. it sands very easy and is very light but still tuff enough. to seal my lures ive only used clear varnish for cars.

sealing is something very important as i found out while i was testing a unsealed pine wood lure, the 5 seconds that it was in the water it took up so much water that i had to let it dry for a day and then sand again. lesson learned; never hurry.

Thanks for the info guys. I will try out the epoxy putty which I feel will be easiest to obtain for me at this stage. Also like the idea of something quick drying and sandable of course :)

I will also try out this sealer and see how that goes:

http://beckerspaints.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=37&category_id=8&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=44

Im planning to test the lure as soon as its sealed anyway as its my first attempt, and I want to see how it swims and such. Your right BobP it may well sink :) At this stage I dont mind either way to be honest :) I'm learning and had no specific idea of how deep I wanted it to run......I will see how it goes and just hope to learn alot for when I approach my next lure :)

Anyway, I probably wouldn't have ended up with any lures made if it wasnt for this site, the people, and info here. Thanks very much for taking your time to help people into this great new hobby.