RAWJigs

Downsizing Weed Guards.

Well, I have a 90 degree football mold I want to stop making unless it is for me. I have a customer who likes the weed guards, the FG12's. He said the only way he would go to the 60 degree is if I could put the FG12's in the mold. I work at a copper redraw factory. For those who might have had this thought and didn't know a way or could not figure out a way here it is. I took a .078 drill bit (5/64"), the size of the FG12's and I took a piece of .125" (1/8") copper tube that had around a .060" ID and drilled it out very carefully to the .078" ID that I needed. I then cut a broken .078 drill bit and stuck it in there and took my needle nose pliers and took the cutters and crimped the bit in there (I didn't have crimpers lol). I then took my wire strippers and put it in the smallest hole that cuts the bolts and put it to the end and SNAP! I got home turned my pot on and poured one and painted and is in the oven now but it seemed to work!

So there is the way to make a FG30 to FG12 adapter on the cheap if you ever needed to ... I will post pictures of the FG30 head and the FG12 head I made with 60 degree hook.

I don't have the ability to that but I use the FG-12 in my 60 degree football mold and my round head mold, any finesse jig under 1/4oz gets the FG-12. What I did was a little simpler but it works, at first I found a finishing nail that was really close, I used that and made a type of jacket for it out of aluminum foil by figuring out how far the nail would go into the head an then wraping the foil around it starting at the weedguard entrance. A member here was kind enough to provide me with some 5/64" rod cut into 1" pieces, now I use those the same way, I basically build up the area that isn't used to 1/8" so it the 5/64" rod is centered and it stays in the mold while keeping the lead from coming out also. I hate the FG-30 for 1/8oz and 3/16oz jigs. For the same molds, if I'm going to be using them for the river or lakes that I will be fishing primarily rock, I'll put a wire weedguard in those jigs, I do that by using a rubber skirt collar, simply install the wire weedguard in the collar, place the collar right at the base of the jig head where the normal weedguard would be going in, and make sure the wire is where you want it and close the mold, hold tight and pour, and you have successfully added a wire weedguard in a mold meant for the FG-0 fiber weedguard without any modification.

On pouring with wire guards, I use the plastic coating from a piece of electrical wiring. Pull out the copper wiring and then you slide the cable wire into it to pour. Fills the weed guard slot in the mold and is easy to position. When you close the mold, it clamps down on the cable wire and holds it into place.

Couldn't you take a 5/64" drill bit and wrap a little tape around it to fill the void and center it? I think there is some type of heat tape out there that would do the trick.

On pouring with wire guards, I use the plastic coating from a piece of electrical wiring. Pull out the copper wiring and then you slide the cable wire into it to pour. Fills the weed guard slot in the mold and is easy to position. When you close the mold, it clamps down on the cable wire and holds it into place.

Couldn't you take a 5/64" drill bit and wrap a little tape around it to fill the void and center it? I think there is some type of heat tape out there that would do the trick.

I thought about that but I have an endless of supply to copper at scrap price and all in all seeing how I had to make the adapter it took me less then 2 minutes.

Here is the picture of it.

Adapter2.jpg

That is my wife's hand I promise that much! She liked the junebug color

Could always claim "over spray" but very neatly done!

I wonder if a person could carefully grind down a teflon pin to the right size? Teflon pins are the cat's meow for pouring. They make life super easy. Cadman, if you were the person who came up with that idea - you da MAN!

I didn't come up with the idea, but I heavily pushed it here and on several other forums. It all started after years of pouring with the metal pins and constantly fighting with them trying to get the pins out after the jig has cooled. I use harder lead and I literally had to take pliers and keep on yanking the metal pins out. This gets old really fast. Several times I got stabbed with the hook point and this really p*****d me off plus it hurt. I talked to some guys that were just getting started using the pins for spin casting, I tried it and never looked back. All I can say is if you don't use the pins you are doing yourself a desservice to your hands and your sanity. Also it is just soooooo much easier to use, I can't say enough about it. So all you newbies listen to the guys here who use the pins, they know what they are talking about and it just plain works

On another note about the teflon tape. Yes I use it and it does work. From holding hooks and wireforms in place in a hot mold to taping up smaller drill bits on the shank end, so I can make jigs with smaller weedguard holes for wire weedguards or single strand weedguard holes. Just wrap the tape around the drill bit shank until you get enough to keep the drill bit from falling out of the mold when you turn it over. The tape just works as well and has many uses around the pouring table.

Good Luck Guys.

I didn't come up with the idea, but I heavily pushed it here and on several other forums. It all started after years of pouring with the metal pins and constantly fighting with them trying to get the pins out after the jig has cooled. I use harder lead and I literally had to take pliers and keep on yanking the metal pins out. This gets old really fast. Several times I got stabbed with the hook point and this really p*****d me off plus it hurt. I talked to some guys that were just getting started using the pins for spin casting, I tried it and never looked back. All I can say is if you don't use the pins you are doing yourself a desservice to your hands and your sanity. Also it is just soooooo much easier to use, I can't say enough about it. So all you newbies listen to the guys here who use the pins, they know what they are talking about and it just plain works

On another note about the teflon tape. Yes I use it and it does work. From holding hooks and wireforms in place in a hot mold to taping up smaller drill bits on the shank end, so I can make jigs with smaller weedguard holes for wire weedguards or single strand weedguard holes. Just wrap the tape around the drill bit shank until you get enough to keep the drill bit from falling out of the mold when you turn it over. The tape just works as well and has many uses around the pouring table.

Good Luck Guys.

I've been looking for a heat resistant tape but have yet to come across it which is why I use aluminum foil. The foil will come undone and need to be rewrapped but the tape would help a lot but I do not know what it is called or where to get it. The only teflon tape I know of is the pipe dope teflon tape used on pipe threads. Can someone tell me what to look for?