mark poulson

Plumber's Lead

Is your plumbler's lead the 4-5# muffin shaped round or six sided blocks, or lighter rectangles? The muffins are 99+% pure lead but rectangles might be wiping solder with a valuable tin content.

I haven't got it yet. I'll let you know when I do. Typically, plumber's lead has always been the six sided blocks, but I won't know for sure until I get it.

Guest DiyEngineer
23 minutes ago, mark poulson said:

What are they?

They are us are nowadays made of mainly zinc, with aluminum or lead additives, around 70% to 90% zinc with 30% to 7% aluminum, and 3%  to 1% lead.

20 hours ago, jcool3 said:

tire weights aren't lead anymore for the most part 

It really depends on where you live.  Several states have outlawed lead wheel weights and all new vehicles now come with non-lead weights.  But there's still plenty of shops in Free America that use lead wheel weights.

Guest DiyEngineer
On 2/26/2018 at 5:02 PM, LimpNoodle said:

It really depends on where you live.  Several states have outlawed lead wheel weights and all new vehicles now come with non-lead weights.  But there's still plenty of shops in Free America that use lead wheel weights.

You are right, But I believe unless you are getting them as scrap(for free), it would be better to go to your local ace and pick up some lead alpha bars, or go to http://www.nuclead.com/ for big orders from 100$ to 1000$ orders they make custom fishing weights or sell scrap there.

12 minutes ago, DiyEngineer said:

You are right, But I believe unless you are getting them as scrap(for free), it would be better to go to your local ace and pick up some lead alpha bars, or go to http://www.nuclead.com/ for big orders from 100$ to 1000$ orders they make custom fishing weights or sell scrap there.

I'm paying no more than $10 for a 5 gallon bucket from the tire stores.  I'm still pulling 70-80 lbs of lead from a bucket.  About half stick-on, which is soft lead, and about half clip-on which is harder lead.

For soft lead I also hit the local scrap yard and get soft lead scrap for $0.70-$0.80 a lb.   There's also Roto Metals if one wants to go that way.  If I were to want a large amount....say a ton, I'd just go smelter direct for around $1.25 a lb for alloyed lead.