Bixie

Using Foil On Crankbaits

I'm sure most of you have seen something similar or already know this trick. I've been surfing the damn web too much I think, but I thought I'd post this website because I thought it really simplified this process. Hope this helps!

http://www.rivercity...aaa/ch2/ch2.htm

Four coats of epoxy?? :oooh: I just cant imagine the need for that.

Four coats of epoxy?? :oooh: I just cant imagine the need for that.

I've used 3 coats of epoxy on numerous occasions and that's not counting the top coat which was auto clear. One coat of epoxy to seal the lure. One coat to level out the foil edges. If the lure has glitter then after applying the glitter I will put a coat of epoxy over the glitter to make sure it's "buried" for a smooth surface over the glitter. Then a coat of auto clear as my final coat. And there are occasions when I will put a coat of epoxy over the paint job before applying any details. This lets me wipe off any mistakes made while adding details to a bait without ruining the whole paint job.

Ben

I've used 3 coats of epoxy on numerous occasions and that's not counting the top coat which was auto clear. One coat of epoxy to seal the lure. One coat to level out the foil edges. If the lure has glitter then after applying the glitter I will put a coat of epoxy over the glitter to make sure it's "buried" for a smooth surface over the glitter. Then a coat of auto clear as my final coat. And there are occasions when I will put a coat of epoxy over the paint job before applying any details. This lets me wipe off any mistakes made while adding details to a bait without ruining the whole paint job.

Ben

Sounds like that was on a wooden blank, Ben. Appears to me that 4 coats of epoxy would just overload a 1/2 oz. lure. Is it really necessary on a plastic blank?

Sounds like that was on a wooden blank, Ben. Appears to me that 4 coats of epoxy would just overload a 1/2 oz. lure. Is it really necessary on a plastic blank?

On a plastic crank? No, but I wasn't talking about plastic cranks. Remember where I talked about sealing the lure? That's to prevent water from getting to the wood.

Ben