idahobass96

Base Coat

So I have read about a basecoat being the coat (usually white) being sprayed before you start your pattern. I have just been spraying white createx through my airbrush but it really only works for a couple of baits at a time plus it can get expensive. is there a way to dip the baits so i dont have to spray them individually? something in a big can that will allow me to dunk them in and have a plain white base coat? If there is i would love to know. thanks

Idahobass

I spray Polytranspar Superhide white as a color basecoat. There are several water based airbrush paints that have lots of white pigment and have "hide" or "cover" in their names. I like the Superhide White because it dries fast to a hard coating. I get a 16 oz bottle from Wasco and it seems pretty cost efficient. If you're just looking for "cheap", you can use Apple Barrel White, an inexpesive hobby paint with lots of white pigment - but it its large paint grains will not shoot through small airbrush tips and it leaves a surface that is rougher than airbrush brands.

I am thinking of trying this

http://www.google.co...IwBA#ps-sellers

I currently use this

http://www.google.co...IwBA#ps-sellers

Thinking the primer may be even better for adhesion with the water based paints.

Even if the primer is not all covered...with the clear coat it is hard to tell it's primer. Looks like gloss white. And you're right...there should not be any adhesion issues with any topcoat except lacquers.

Why don't you just thin you Createx White a little bit? It will spray and cover just fine. Their white is thicker than any of their other colors.

idahobass said because of cost.

Createx white may be fine for plastic and some non grain wood baits but when covering something grainy like a hand carved pine bait, something really thick is required to hide the grain.

idahobass said because of cost.

Createx white may be fine for plastic and some non grain wood baits but when covering something grainy like a hand carved pine bait, something really thick is required to hide the grain.

Just giving other options. He already paid for the paint and if he thins it 25% or so it will go further. I guess I missed the grainy hand carved pine bait part.

Guys, are we beginning to confuse undercoating and color basecoating? I want a smooth, hard, waterproof undercoating that will cover any grain effect before I put on a color basecoat. If the undercoating were white, then it could do double duty but I use epoxy or propionate, neither of which is. To me, the color basecoat is just the first acrylic latex paint I spray so the later colors will show a uniform shading.

Now all we have to do is throw "primer" into the mix and we can all be confused. As I understand it, primer is a coating whose purpose is to promote the adhesion of later coatings. You can use any white coating, including white solvent primers or white solvent based spray paints, as a color basecoat but I think it's an open question whether any of them used this way improve adhesion of acrylic latex paints. For that, you probably need to use a specific acrylic paint adhesion promoter.

I tried the krylon fusion. after wiping my bait down with acetone and sanding and drying over night, the fusion just dripped off. literally. i don't know if i just got a bad can or what. worked with a different spray can but not the fusion. i was thinking about getting just white paint in a jug from wal-mart? any opinions on that? i just need a white paint to spray the bait and hide the existing color so i can start my pattern.

thanks for all the comments

idahobass

Hi Idahobass

I am new to painting baits and I am in the proces of doing some baits . I have done lots of search through another website, I found a product that is used by a painter called Beaver top notch geitileman. Beaver uses a Sherwin Williams paint product called Polystyrene Barrier Coat. Comes in a 5 gallon bucket he dips the bait in the Polystyrene lets it dry than dips a second time dryes in about 20 minutes. The beauty of it is that seals and coats the wood in one step. The cost for 5 gallon is around 72.00 dollars. you may have to get some Bloxygen to extend the life of the paint

Hopefully this helps

spoonpluggergino