blazt*

Fish Scents And The Current Line Of Thinking

I do believe that scents work, I am no rocket scientist but base my belief on experience. About forty years ago when  I first started bass fishing, I used garlic scent only because someone told me it worked (I still use it). Like most newbies to the sport, I had to have a bait caster. I took it out on Tellico Lake for my first use to a cove that always produced a few bass on plastic worms. It only took a couple of casts and I had an atrocious backlash. I set there for a while trying to pick out this backlash and it was giving me a fit. I had a pretty good sized pile of line around my feet. It was one of those very calm days with not a ripple on the water.The boat was sitting still and I Seen my line being pulled out of the boat. I waited until all the line was out of the boat and set the hook. It was about a two pounder. That made a believer out of me that bass like a Garlic scent. A few weeks later, my brother and I were out on Tellico again, It was a very hot day and we pulled up on an island under a huge oak tree to eat lunch and cool off. This island was in a cove so I don't think there was current there. I was telling my brother about the bass and the garlic scent. I decided to test it while we were sitting there so I sprayed down a texas rigged worm and threw it out as far as I could and Put my rod across the deck of the boat I even gave it some slack line so that if we rocked the boat, it would not impart any movement to the worm . I guess we sat there for about 30 minutes and nothing happened. I told my brother well, I guess I was wrong it didn't seem to attract the bass after all. So as I reached down to pick up my rod, I hadn't touched it yet. My line jumped a few inches. I said look!! It did it again and I picked it up reeled up the slack and set the hook. It was another two pounder.  That cinched it for me, I have used garlic scents ever since. I do not remember the brand that I was using back then but I now use Bang and Yum brands. Don't know if it works on hard baits or not have never tried it. 

John

I mentioned this in another thread. Fish don't smell through their mouth or gills.

The holes that look like nostrils on the nose of most fish are called nares. Nares do not lead to the throat the way nostrils do in mammals nor do they lead to the mouth or gills. The nares open up into a
chamber lined with sensory pads.

Oil or any other molecule of organic matter suspended in the water can be detected. It doesn't need to be dissolved to be detected. The important thing is if the fish recognizes the scent as prey.