DRob7

Rookie

What a great site. I am looking to start pouring some of my own soft plastics. I am only looking to do this for fun for me. Not looking to make money, just looking for something to kill some time during the winter months in Indiana. I am only looking to make the basics like senkos, worms, creature baits, and spider grubs. That's about all I use. However, I have no clue where to even start. I've seen several molds that I would definitely like to try. I have no idea where to buy plastic, how to make plastic, how to produces colors and scents, etc. Where do you all suggest I start?

A couple of the injection mold makers have beginner "kits" that are a great way to start....correctly!

I personally got frustrated with hand pour and wish I had gone straight to injection.

Both are great company's to do business with.

http://www.caneycreekmolds.com/Kits-and-Certificates_c_24.html

http://www.bearsbaits.com/Starter-Kits_c_29.html

If you want to start with hand pour (open, one sided mold) to keep your costs down, the Freedom Fry kit from Caney Creek is a great way to start.

http://www.caneycreekmolds.com/Kit--Open-Pour_p_86.html

The aluminum mold for this bait really has helped me learn to hand pour ....with much better results than some of the other "cheap" hand pour molds I wasted money on.

The injection molds will allow you to make baits that rival most others off the shelf giving you the ability to have nice appendages with great action.

For me, there is something to be said about hand pouring. It is a great way to really "get to know" the plastic and how it acts.

To get a good feel for the plastic is to know what happens when adding salt, softner, hardner... and so on.

I feel I have learned that by spending countless hours sitting over a pan and a hot plate.

Hand pouring also allows you to get started at a lower price point if you happen to be on a budget.

For most of us that have been doing this for a long time, hand pouring was more or less or "right of passage" that progressed us into what we do today.

But... I also agree with DeBehr.

If the injectors were available eight years ago when I started making my own soft plastics, I would have went straight to them, I just feel that it may have taken me longer to

gain the experience I have developed over the years.

Good luck!

First of all, welcome to TU.

If you want to really learn the hobby start with handpouring in open molds and then work your way up.( you don't climb a ladder from the top down;lol)

That way you will learn about colors as well as blending two and three colored baits. You can also make your own molds out of POP for little money and it's fun to do.

Check out the "how-to" section on TU.

If you have any questions; don't be afraid to ask.

www.novalures.com

• Like 1

All good info so far here's my take on hand pour versus injection:

Both have their place in your arsenal I would recommend an injection starter kit from one of the above mentioned companies, get the mold that you will fish the most as you will immediately feel the results of your labor. I would also buy several hand pour molds of easier types of baits (no thin appendages here) as they are cheap and will give you years of useful production as you stated you wont be selling or doing volume. If you dare go ahead and buy one or two with more difficult features to understand the quirks of plastic but I would not recommend it be your only choice. Colorants come in many sizes but I would start off with the 1 oz sizes it sound like a small amount but it goes a long way and here you can determine what colors suit your taste before buying larger amounts, this also goes for flake same deal. As for what colors I would stick with pre made colors i.e. june bug, black, watermelon and the like then when you get the hang of it you can always blend your own colors, my point is you don't want to learn everything at once. Again as stated search the do's and don'ts section and search the web for YouTube videos on the process there are a ton out there from many folks on here. Have fun and good luck look forward to some pics!

Very important: make sure you read the safety requirements and suggestions for safety on here as I assure you we have all learned the hard way and this stuff can hurt you if not respected.

Edited by mrbilky