bbf

Foil Tape

The duck brand hvac tape wally world sells now is not the stuff they sold 5 years ago. It is dull. Ive got both. And the stuff ive seen at home depot, lowes, and ace is also the dull stiff. But i havent looked in 3-4 years so maybe (but more than likely doubtfully) they carry the shiny stuff now. Im sure you can get the shiny stuff online. Im sure there is shinier stuff than the stuff i have(duck brand from wally world 5 uears ago)

So.....who has super shiny foil?

from the specs ive read online from the manufactures pages nashua 322 foil tape is the same thickness as the brite back and it can be found at home improvment/repair stores - i work as a hvac tech so i get it from our local parts house and it is thinner than some but super sticky and has good strength as well - its also available in diffrent widths also - i have 2" and 3" on my work van

On the subject of foil tape and how shiny it is I have a little tip. I have been (and still am) working on my first lure. I decided to try out some aluminum tape as I saw it in my local hardware store. Its shiny....or at least it seems so :) I don't have any other type of tape to compare it to. But anyway I stuck the tape to the lure and then noticed a little "clouding" on the surface in places. Then I came up with the idea of using my Dremel polishing wheel (link below) to brighten it up a bit. Well it worked a treat and gave it a very nice shine, while also removing marks and finger prints. It actually looked better than when I had purchased it from the shop.

Give it a try if you want to remove any finger marks and such on your tape and get a great shine before you epoxy or whatever over it.

http://www.dremeleur...el-13-mm-(6-pcs)

Edited by saiyani

I have a question on foiling a bait, I have a roll of the bright aluminum tape and want to try a few baits. My question is do you do it in 1 piece or 2, and how do you prevent the big wrinkles. thanks bigbasser

Do 2 pieces. It will take practice to get it right. I use a dowel rod to rub the foil with. Do a search on foiled baits and you will get a lot of good info.

I have a question on foiling a bait, I have a roll of the bright aluminum tape and want to try a few baits. My question is do you do it in 1 piece or 2, and how do you prevent the big wrinkles. thanks bigbasser

This should help.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/12000-photo-finishing-foil-and-faux-finishes/

a little off the subject but I have been looking for holographic foil to match a bait I am trying to replicate. Any ideas on where to get any? Thanks.

Dude, save yourself the headaches and buy some heat transfer holo foil from Papilon in Texas. Next, get some Loctite 22 spray adhesive. Spray, wait 30s, rub on a rectangle section on both sides at the same time like your milking out a ketchup packet. Snatch the backing away and clear coat. Then apply final colors. Very fast process with only a little practice.

I too have been using the HVAC Aluminum tape for my swimbaits. I have found much better photo-foil results by polishing the tape with some metal polish before adding the tissue photo print. With a little time it is possible to get the tape really shiny.