diemai

A Little Video On Crankbait Rattles

Hi there , folks ,

This time I'm smarter , ....thought of uploading this little picture compilation here in the tutorial section straightaway .

I have uploaded these pictures in the forums quite a while ago , but these days I just got smarter with the computer(with the help of my dear daughter Andrea) , ....so I was able to put them out on video even together with a music track .

Of course any upcoming questions will be answered , ..........greetz , diemai :yay:

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for you kind words , folks , ....much appreciated :worship: !

@ Coley

What a nice compliment , ....in this case , ....mission accomplished :yay::D !

@ RayburnGuy

Ben , there are other ways to furnish rattles for homemade baits , but most of these methods require a higher working effort in my opinion

Many folks furnish the crosswise bore with some kinda lining(for better roll of the inserted BB's) , may this be a straw , an empty pen or also some metal tubing , etc , .......BUT they would need to glue in some kind of closure lids on either end of the bore , which requres to furnish a countersunk on either end of the bore , ......most likely the lures shape should be completed at this stage , I guess , ..........for my own rattles I can drill the hole 8,0mm dia when the blank is still square , ....and no countersunks required .

Also these glued on lids can cause failures of the rattle , if one does not watch out and glue remainders flow into the rattle chamber .

On German forums I had seen one guy using the coins of the former German Democratic Republic for this purpose , as they were pretty light made of an aluminium alloy , another guy used the flat disc-shaped heads of paper tacks .

I just wanted to get around this added effort , ....just create a closed rattle casing , assemble it and close the bore with putty , ...done , ........and making these rattles shown comes in quite easy and fast , once you'd get the hang on it , anyway ,

This rattle is too large for smaller and lighter lures , ........for such I'm using so-called "jig-rattles" of plastic , just snip off the mushroom-shaped extension meant to be attached to a jigheads skirt collar and it's ready to be inserted into a timber blank .

@ littleriver

I haven't yet tried glassbeads for rattles(apart from worm rigs) , ......I just think that they are too light , thus would not have as much power on impact as rolling back and forth inside of the rattle chamber , ........thus won't generate as much noise as BB's fof steel .

.........though I may be wrong about it , .....just haven't tried it :? !

That fiddle music is traditional Cajun Music from Louisana , I've come across many years ago watching an America movie on TV and since I liked these tunes with their disctinctive fiddle play and backing triangle , ......the band(the Balfa Brothers)in the movie is also playing that little tune I've used for my video(not banned on German YouTube , either :lol: ), .........guess , that the melody in the movie is their most famous ?

Even electric

guitar superstar Mark Knopfler adapted the Cajun style in a song on one of his former albums :

That coin is a European 50 cent coin , .......it's diameter is 24,25 mms , .......so about .96 inch , ..........don't have any American coins at hand , sorry :D !

Thanks again , greetz , Dieter :yay:

Edited by diemai

I love this site and everything I've learned here.

Please tell what is the joint material in the swimbait at the 1:30 time area? It looks almost like tourniquet material, but that would not seem strong enough.

Welcome to TU , ........hope , you'd enjoy yourself in here :yay: !

Sorry , but it's not clear to be seen on the picture , ........only took the pic to display the rattle assembly , .........this is still a blank , readily carved , but never separated into it's two sections , .......it is simply wood material inbetween the two sections .

I do all of my jointed lures this way , since it is a lot easier to carve and sand , ........first to hold the blank pieces with your guiding hand and second you'd get better transitions between the single sections this way .

I'd separate them finally , when all fine sanding is done , afterwards I'd sand the opposing planes smooth and round them off .

The hinges would either be interconnected screweyes or wireforms .

Sorry about getting you confused , ..........cheers , diemai :yay: