spoonpluggergino

How To Know When The Paint Is To Thick

I done a search on thinning paint and paint thickness came up empty

I started taking some lessons how to use an airbrush, lots good tutorials on the internet. I am very green at this. I noticed when I was spraying white the paint C-Tex was clinging to the side of the cup and the black did not. I do shake the paint really well. I am not sure what the paint fluid consistency should look like. Not having any problem spraying paint, the brush seems to be working properly. If I want to thinn out the paint can I use drops of water, or do I need to purchase C-tex thinner

Gino

Createx says you can thin their paint as much as 50% with water. But they also sell a 4011 reducer. If you get the paint too thin, it will just bead up and not be able to form a coherent film so the safe route is to thin it when you need to, as little as needed to get the spray pattern you need. Createx paints have different consistencies depending on the particular color, so I wouldn't let that bother you. Most Createx can be sprayed straight out of the bottle without thinning, you just have to determine whether the unthinned paint is thin enough for the job at hand.

As well as the 'store-bought' thinner, there are several home brew formulas that seem to work very well. Do a search to find them here or check out some airbrushing sites for alternatives.

Createx white is the thickest of all their paints. The transparent colors are the thinnest. You have to play around and get use to and familiar with your gun, paints and compressor. Less psi requires thinner consistency. There are also good airbrushing tips, tricks and tutorials on You Tube

For homemade reducers try typing in pledge with future in the search feature here

Edited by 152nd Street Baits

I reduce folk art paint till it drips off a toothpick in about 3 to 5 seconds after dipping it in about 1/2 way then spray it on a peice of plastic to see if it sticks your good to go, or runs if it runs i add a 2 to 5 drops of paint to the mix and try again( I'm mixing 1 oz at a time)

Edited by crankpaint

Thin to milk, or even skim milk consistency. A little too thin is far better than too thick.

Thin, multiple coats, with each coat heat set, is the key, especially for beginners.

Thin coats heat set faster, and you can build to whatever thichness you want without worrying about uncured coats, and trapped moisture under your top coat.

It's a good idea to go online to the Createx website, and read up on heat set paints, and how the heating process actually changes the molecular structure of the paint, making it waterproof. It's really T shirt paint, and is meant to be heat set with an iron to make it survive washings.

Not heating it enough will result in a more fragile paint scheme.

• Like 1

White specifically is a little thicker as stated. What I generally do is have one bottle of white (not thinned) for things that need quick coverage and another bottle that is cut with 4011 and a drop or three of retarder. Or buy a bottle of auto air white and a bottle of regular createx would be about the same thing.

You will notice when your bottle get down to the last third the paint doesn't flow as good anymore. Adding a little 4011 will get it flowing good as new...

I've been using water to thin mine, I have to thin everything pretty much because my compressor is too weak. It won't spray water with a #1 tip. Works fairly well though with a #3. Anyway, if your going to thin with water I would recomend using distilled water.