pizza

What Lure Niche Do You Fill By Making Your Own Hardbaits?

One of the best things about making baits is making baits that do something that very few commercially available baits do.

There are not many slow sinking crankbaits commercially available and since i fish rivers that average about 2-4 feet in depth, i love it when i end up with just the right amount of fall rate. Ive never measured this, but im guessing about 1 foot every 3-5 seconds or so. This combined with a shallow lip, lets me fish me baits at the depth i want to, at the speed i like to, for the longest amount of time during retrieve.

Seems like sinking cranks are few and far bw these days. Youve got rapala and youve got rapala (im sure there are others, just don't know offhand, and im not sure that rapala sinkers are considered cranks anyways but you get my drift...

How about you?

I don't. I just like making them. To be able to build a lure that catches fish is reward enough for me, and I give a few to friends that are fishermen. I've started working on a weight transfer for casting and ballast combo that rattles. Probably wouldn't hurt to sell a few to buy more materials.

I make more splashers for hybrid bass at the local dam wood wise but do make a few thin large lures to mimic the local skipjack shad that are from 6 to 14 inchs long that the bigger hybrid bass eat(a 5 lb hybrid will knock the @#$% out of a bigger bait) and becouse theres not many lures the size and weight i use to reach them i make my own and like the feeling of having one about yank the pole out of your hands when it hits in the current below the dams(had them break 20 and 30 lb test on the strike)

Edited by crankpaint

The niche I fill is for a guy who cant afford to lose $100 in tackle every weekend. The area I fish in the spring to early summer is shallow and has tons of 3 foot bluefish. They shread my store boughts and at $10 or more each I just cant keep up. The rest of the year Im fishing for Striped Bass (the real kind not those abominations you guys catch in the lakes LOL) and for that I use store bought soft plastics on jig heads.

For me its more about the hobby (addiction)! I have always enjoyed working with wood and making my own crankbaits has allowed me to continue wood working! If i had to guess money wise I probably have not saved a whole lot, simply because I keep trying new things that never really seem to work. Its a fun habit for me!