Nathan

Big Lures=Big Fish?

Good grief, you could actually put your tackle box inside the lure...takes bait building into another dimension for sure. Seriously if you trolled it someplace like Georgian Bay on Huron long enough, a "beast" muskie would eat it, I'll bet. And as much as no one would take it seriously at a bass tournament, someone at a muskie tournament would suspect that you were MOST serious. (I guess we shouldn't even bring up the subject of clear coating it :lol: ). What fun! What carpentry :!:

Dean

Coley,...yep..I made it...I couldn't find any untreated Pine 4x4's so I had to use Cedar(what a mess...dust everywhere..and I had to wear a mask!!)

A 4x4 on a lathe will beat the heck out of you...I'm glad this is the only one I have to make.

As for the finish...The Devcon Gods will have to forgive me again(I couldn't afford that much 2ton!!)The finish is a urethane spray..Nathan

Well that's got me beat. I make a 14" shade type body with the lip runs about 18". Everyone would come over to my garage and give me the what the heck are you going to catch with that. Had several people hinting they wanted me to seek "professional help". Would be filling up the boat at the gas station and people would see the baits hanging in the boat, say I don't even catch fish that big. Well everyone stopped laughing when I starting boating fish, and they keep on getting larger. Now if I ventured into that size it might start the whole scenario over again. Might wake up one morning in a straight jacket. Seriously have seen a bait maker who made something that large. Had strikes on it but with that much body is hard to get a hook set. Good luck, for sure won't be a "little one".

Very nice Nathan. Like a few people have said here if you trolled that bait long enough on waters such as Georgian Bay, St-Lawrence, Ottawa River or other trophy water of NW Ontario eventually a big musky would attempt to eat it.

I have read and heard expert state that big Musky prefer to eat baits that are 20-25% of their size. That means that a 40 lbs musky prefers to target fish in the 8-10lbs range. We have all heard the stories of anglers fighting 5-10 bass, pike, walleye ect... only to have a big Musky come up and attack their catch.

For these reasons I made a few baits in the 13-20" range to target muskies this year. Here is a picture of two of these baits that I made. I included a standard size musky lure in the picture fo size comparison. Hopefully I'll be able to post pictures of a monster musky caught on one of these later this year.

Marc

hpim0017.jpg

hpim0019.jpg

hpim0017.jpg

hpim0019.jpg

hpim0017.jpg

hpim0019.jpg

hpim0017.jpg

hpim0019.jpg

hpim0017.jpg

hpim0019.jpg

hpim0017.jpg