Jump to content
What Was Your Most Challenging Lure?
12 replies to this topic
Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:47 PM
As anyone ever given up trying to copy a lure they liked because it was too challenging?
I almost did when I decided to copy Nelson's 9'' Lady ( called Shapely Lady back then ) it essentially looks like a 9'' ripplin redfin. I must've been feeling a little masochistic that day to choose hard maple.......The only power tool I used was a band saw to cut / rip the profile. The rest was all hand sanding.....
I have now decided to copy a 13'' Believer...out of cedar this time Lol! The profile is cut, all is left is shaping.
Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:40 PM
I would say 2 baits; any ultra-deep crankbait because the balance is so critical, and any jerkbait. I gave up on jerkbaits a long while ago; there are just too many excellent factory jerkbaits around to make building them from scratch worthwhile for me.
Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:26 PM
+1 on the jerkbaits. Even if I were to make one out of wood and it be successful, the weights vary considerably on a board of wood... even on some of my special ordered planks.
The hardest thing I've encountered with lures is consistency among them. Have 100% success out of 100 lures is the goal, but I have about a 3-4% failure that get thrown out. This number has improved by about 10% in the last couple years just by acquiring better tools and standardizing my processes. I think replacing my current bandsaw with a little better quality should get me to 99%. But yeah, consistency has always seemed to be my issue, not really any individual lure design. I've run into similar issues with my swimbaits having consistent resin densities too. Nothing ticks me off more than spending 10hrs making a (at least in my own mind) gorgeous swimbait and having a 50% success... from a MOLD!
Sorry, a little off subject.
Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:03 PM
I'd have to say the swimbait. I've only made a couple but getting the segments to articulate properly would be my biggest challenge. I'm really not fond of the big gaping space between the hinged pieces and have tried to shrink the gap to make the bait swim more like a fish than a snake.
Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:08 PM
When you say jerkbaits, what style are you talking about? A lipped twitch bait or are you talking about the non-lipped suick styled lures?
I would have figured swim baits being up there and haven't tried yet.
Perch shaped gliders have a 100% failure rate for me right now (n=1), the slope of the head causes them to behave erratically and blow out. I've taken this lure back to the board too many times I don't have anywhere to dill in it anymore. I also think I put lead too high in its body. Glide baits being difficult because you need to test them.... Last one I made, "works" but turns to the right 75% of the time.....
So far I've found deep diving cranks (flat body with high profile ex perch or whitefish shaped to be the easiest) My attempts of medium depth long slender baits hasn't been successful, too much lip causes them to blow out and run upside down at higher speeds is my guess.
Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:33 PM
Been trying to copy the action of the wiggle wart and have a bag full of duds. I will get figured out one day.
Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:53 PM
Wiggle Warts must be tough to mimic. I've tried a couple of them and not had any luck yet either.
Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:15 AM
Personally, I think jointed swimbaits are the easiest for consistent success. They just involve a lot of work. As long as the joints are very free moving, they will swim. This is my experience.
Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:19 AM
I'm with 'Bassguy', I had sleepless nights with four segment 3 1/4" 'swimbaits', but now I am with Dave (V/M), once you have perfected it (hinges and weight, which probably took 2 months) they ere realtivly easy.
Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:49 AM
one of my professors wants me to make a platypus lure. why? hell if I know. i'm just going to go on and say that it will be the hardest, and ugliest lure I've ever made...
Posted 22 February 2012 - 12:43 AM
My most challenging so far has been a small crank. It measured 1cm from lip to tail. I don't know how it would have swam, last it was seen was when it shot out my hand trying to do some touch ups with my dremel. I haven't been able to find it since.
Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:37 PM
My most challenging build is going on right now... getting the production templates, processes and tools built to consistently produce a simple shallow running flatsided balsa crankbait. I've had my ups and downs building one-offs, but this is by far trickier.
One of my favorite builds was a very small crankbait, about 1/2" long, to use for catching creek chubs. Or as we call them, Trout of the Midwest. I used a few BB's for ballast and it runs great. Didn't even get around to painting it. No need.
So much fun to go creek hopping with ultralight tackle. And chubs are excellent flathead bait in the spring before our river gets too hot.
Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:16 PM
Balsa topwaters for me. Making clamshell designs and achieving the right balance with wire form, ballast, and rattles. I am my worst customer..