gbass1951

Powder Paint

New to powder painting and had a question for you pros. I read so much about a fluid bed that I built a couple and have great results after I finally got the air right with Pro-Tec powder. I bought some powder paint at Harbor Freight a couple of weeks ago ( couldn't wait on my order from Barlows) and it dipped fine, but I can't get anything but gushers when trying to use it in a fluid bed. Anyone got it to work?

Also I will pass along something I found out. I ordered the unpainted umbrella or Alabama rigs from Barlows, powder coated them, then watched the heads split apart when baking them at 250 for 15 minutes. Called Barlows and was told some of the rigs were lead and some aluminum. They said they would bake at 200 for 15 minutes and should be fine. I guess time will tell.

Hey people, I am new to powder painting and new to this site as well. I have been powder painting for a few weeks now and can do solid colors and two tone colors that have a nice professional look to them, but when I try a 3 tone or 4 tone color on a spinner blade for instance I get a lot of over spray wich clouds the other colors. I have tried multiple angles lowering pressure with multiple angles and I have been unsuccesful. Is this possible for this application or am I trying to do too much. I am using the powder paint gun that is sold by Tjs and usually have my air set to 7-10 lbs. Also my application is to only paint only one side of the blade so dipping is not an option. Thank you in advance.

Gbass1951, I have the same problem but it is usually certain colors like green pumpkin, that color is one that gives me the volcano but I make the best. What you need to realize is that even though you have 1 spot were the air is coming to the surface, the rest of the powder underneath is still fluidized. When you get the volcanos, all you need to do is have you jig or lure ready and just grab hold of the cup and give it a little swirl, you'll notice the paint will instantly fluidize but you nedd to dip the lure quickly as it won't stay that way too long. I've messed around with all kinds of air settings and there isn't a cure or fix that I have found so far so I just give it a swirl and dip, it isn't hard or time consuming so it doesn't bother me and it works. DriftnOut, if you start a new topic I'll help you out but I won't do it here as you are hijacking gbass' thread.

I have to agree on the gushers you need a good air valve and then no matter what their are a few colors that are a pain, for me white and purple. Mine are from Janns Netcraft, and yes I use a fluid bed. I was lucky as a member on another board sent me some mesh for the cups, I tried to order more through McMaster Carr but the stuff I received wasn't the same powder went right through it. It went back with a letter and a scrap piece of the mesh I had and they can't match it.

I've been reading where lot's of folks are getting precut rounds of mesh from TJ's tackle - I haven't seen them on the site but email him he's really good to deal with. He had told me that it really helps if you attach a photo of the bottom of the cup you're using, show a ruler on it to make the best sizing.