bbf

Have Yall Seen......

a white seal coat before? I have a crankbait that was hand built(by who???) and decided to cut it apart. Reason for cutting it apart was the bait seemed to be made from balsa but had a screw eye in the back for hook hanger. I wanted to investigate :? and see if there was a dowel piece for the screw eye to screw into(there was a dowel). As I started to cut it apart the paint seemed to almost come off in big pieces. The paint was more like chipping off in chunks. There was a white coating that seemed to act as the seal coat and base coat. I tried to scratch it to see if it was painted over epoxy but it would just either chip off or not scratch. Is there a white propionate or did someone mix something in some epoxy or do yall think its plasticoat?

Edited by bbf

bbf- I have done the same 'autopsy' on a Rapala CD about 25 years ago, and had the same mind blowing, landed on Mars experience--the paint came off like a skin, and on giveing it a good sniff I detected acetone so came to the conclusion it was what we then called 'aeroplane dope'. This appeared/ smelt to be a logical primer but after a few years of using it I discovered it kept shrinking, and eventually cracked everything above it-- I now believe it was probably acetone based 'Prop', which is much harder.

Great to see someone is still looking. :oooh:

Pete

Manufacturers of wood baits often use a very thick dipped-on undercoating, usually white. They can dip wood bodies with minor surface imperfections in it, let it dry, then proceed with painting - so it's a labor saving process for them. The coating may be a very thick lacquer, a solvent based glue product, or whatever. When I refinish old wood baits, I try to avoid removing this undercoating because if you do, you have to basically start from scratch in finishing the bait from bare wood.

I appreciate the input from everyone. I enjoy learning about baits. Whether by cutting one apart or building and testing them myself. Hopefully I want cut apart the wrong lure. Meaning one might be worth some money to someone or a bait that was and is super unique and not built anymore.

Skeeter, it was a hand made bait or so it looks. By who????? dont know. I bought it locally. It had the belly weight hanger combo that you can get from lure parts online. It had a plastic dowel in the rear and had a screw eye for the hanger(that can be purchased at lure parts online as well). One other thing the lip was drilled and line tie placed through the lip and it had lead where the hole was drilled for the wire to go throug the lip. I guess to help it get a little deeper. By the way woodie it doesnt look like a bagley. Thats not to say it isnt, just never seen a Bagley this style.

Edited by bbf