A-Mac

Foil Pattern Similar To Lucky Craft Gunmetal

Anybody tried to do a foil finish like this yet? If so, were you successful? I've been pondering two important points on making this.

A) How do you cut out foil like this?

B )How do you glue it on the painted lure without ruining the paint, foil, everything else.

Any suggestions would be cool. I have attempted to make one yet, simply because I haven't thought up a process that I'm confident would actually be successful.

SKT-Mini-MR-MS-Gun-Metal-Shad-151.jpg

I painted a few of the MS Crack color last year. After I painted the bait, I put a thin coat of clear on it. Let the clear harden, stick on the scales and then put another coat of clear on. The scales stick pretty good without a 2nd coat of clear, but you will lose a few from fish catches. Thats why I added a 2nd coat.

CrackAttack5.jpg

Its kinda funny you asked this. I just ordered a painted lure from jannsnetcraft. It came looking pretty cose to the lure you posted. However the scales were already falling off, so I attempted to put a coat of etex over just the scaled part. When I checked it in the morning, the etex got flung off the scales and ended up in big globs on the top and bottom of the lure. It was the american shad color GetImage-1.jpg

I bet the LC lures use a custom laser cut scale applique. A friend of mine did something similar by cutting out small squares of adhesive silver tape and sticking them on the lure. It wasn't as ordered or as large as the LC applique but it was an attractive effect. Sort of like giant silver flakes.

thanks guys. The large silver flakes probably would look good. However, if there is a stick on scale pattern, I would love to know where you guys found these. I kept eyeballing my foil and just kept thinking, no way would whatever I typically use to apply foil would create such a fine and clean looking pattern.

So yeah, If you guys don't mind sharing, I'd like the site where you found these sticker scales. THANKS!

Here's my take on those patterns:

American Shad

P1030364.jpg

Foiled American Shad

P1040121.jpg

Gunmetal Shad

P1030130 copy.jpg

Crack

P1040117.jpg

I used holographic tape to make the scales, and I used 9mm and .22 caliber casings as punches for different-sized scales. They aren't exactly the same as the actual Lucky Craft patterns, but I think they're a pretty decent substitute.

FYI, Barlows Tackle has several different holographic scale tapes that are similar to the pattern Lucky Craft uses.

I hope this helps.

Ben

P1040117.jpg

P1040121.jpg

P1030130 copy.jpg

P1030364.jpg

P1040117.jpg

P1040121.jpg

P1030130 copy.jpg

P1030364.jpg

P1040117.jpg

P1040121.jpg

P1030130 copy.jpg

P1030364.jpg

P1040117.jpg

P1040121.jpg

P1030130 copy.jpg

P1030364.jpg

P1040117.jpg

P1040121.jpg

P1030130 copy.jpg

P1030364.jpg

P1040117.jpg

P1040121.jpg

P1030130 copy.jpg

P1030364.jpg

P1040117.jpg

P1040121.jpg

P1030130 copy.jpg

P1030364.jpg

post-21896-0-85719700-1329854689_thumb.jpg

post-21896-0-71822500-1329854692_thumb.jpg

post-21896-0-25849000-1329854719_thumb.jpg

post-21896-0-18535700-1329855356_thumb.jpg

Hey guys!! Sorry for the late reply on the scales, had a long day at work!! I purchased mine from http://www.ichibantackle.com/showproductdetail.asp?productid=2127&name=FISH%20TAPE%20MAGIC%20SCALE&manufacturename=LUCKY%20CRAFT%3Cbr%3E shipped straight from Japan. These are the original Lucky Crafts Scales. They only have purple left and no more in stock. I don't know if they will be selling anymore after the purple is gone. They have been out of the other colors for quite some time. I sent them an email asking if they would get anymore in, but haven't heard anything back.

I have tried duplicating that look before. I purchase some solid holographic and scale patterned tape from Bass Pro.

The scale tape was a little too think and hard to get it to bend to the contours of the bait.

I tried using a hole punch on the holographic tape. Problem with this method for me was it was hard to peel the tape from the backing because the hole punch dots were so small. And it took forever to peel and stick those dots to the bait.

If you don't want to bust out the swiss army knife scissors and holographic/hvac tape. Or go fishing in leather punch holes for individual "scales" (tip: start the peeling process for each scale with an exacto :lolhuh: ....)

maybe try the following. See top pic in post #17. Try to find large glitter and apply only to top. Not the same look, but a similar effect...

http://www.ohiogamef...ad.php?t=151184

Edited by pizza

If you don't want to bust out the swiss army knife scissors and holographic/hvac tape. Or go fishing in leather punch holes for individual "scales" (tip: start the peeling process for each scale with an exacto :lolhuh: ....)

maybe try the following. See top pic in post #17. Try to find large glitter and apply only to top. Not the same look, but a similar effect...

http://www.ohiogamef...ad.php?t=151184

Jim,

I use clear nail polish and large orange glitter for my bluegill and crawdad belly hilites.

I'm sure a large silver glitter and nail polish would work for scales, too.

I just put the nail polish on where I want the glitter to stick, hold the bait over a clean piece of paper, and then drop the glitter over the bait a pinch at a time.

The glitter only sticks to the wet nail polish, and the excess falls right off. After the polish dries, I use an exacto handle to roll the glitter down flatter, blow off any loose glitter, and put another coat of clear polish over the glitter to smooth it down and lock it in place.

If I were trying to make a scale pattern, I'd probably play around with holding the bait at an angle, to see if I could get more of the glitter to orient in the same direction.

Just a thought.

I noticed the glitter i used for the "scale simulation" says "medium", so id guess that there is larger, just havent been looking for glitter in a while. Thanks for the tip!

Also the glitter i used is hexagonal or something like that and pretty thin- its pretty cool, not that "cheap looking thick square stuff".

Edited by pizza

I noticed the glitter i used for the "scale simulation" says "medium", so id guess that there is larger, just havent been looking for glitter in a while. Thanks for the tip!

Also the glitter i used is hexagonal or something like that and pretty thin- its pretty cool, not that "cheap looking thick square stuff".

Where did you find hexagonal glitter? I have some, but not all of the glitter from the same supplier is hexagonal. I didn't choose it, it just came that way.

I'd sure like to be able to get it on purpose.

Im pretty sure i got it at hobby lobby. If it wasnt there, maybe michaels crafts, but pretty sure hobby lobby. As i recall it also has that "multi colored cool look but mostly silver" like the lc scales. Maybe thats just an artifact of the lighting/flash picture though. Its at home so i cant check. The pic shown on the ogf site was my first attempt and i was quite pleased. Ive got another one at home thats been waiting for its final coat (probably for over a year now lol)). Also earlier in that ogf thread is a picture of the actual glitter container if that helps as far as brand. I think that is the only hex glitter i have. Didnt even realize when i bought it, maybe i lucked out. Quality stuff though.