davewood

Prepping For Paint

I have some balsa lures I want to paint. It seems I cant quite get them smooth enough. Does anyone use a filler? Also where can I get qualty balsa. I live near Louisville Ky. I dont mind ordering it either. And if there is anyone in the area who wouldn't mind showing me a few things; I would be grateful. Im really struggling with the paint.

After shaping my baits I like to give them a coating of super glue. I just rub it in all over the bait with my finger trying to get it equally distibuted. As long as you keep your finger moving it won't stick to the bait. The super glue is thin enough that it is soaked into the wood making a hard surface. When the glue dries the bait is then given a sanding to a smooth finish. After applying the super glue the bait is then given a coat of 30 minute epoxy and placed on the lure turner until the epoxy cures enough to be handled. This is usually around 45 minutes. If there are still imperfections in the finish it is given another light sanding with 400 grit sandpaper to smooth out any blemishes before painting. The coating of super glue is not absolutely necessary, but I like the way it strengthens the wood surface. The epoxy coating is to seal and protect the wood from water intrusion.

There are quite a few places to purchase balsa, and a variety of other woods, online. Some of them may even be close to you. Just google "balsa suppliers" and you will come up with a number of sites that sell it. There are several different grades of balsa. They are graded by the density and if you want a certain type you will have to specify which grade you want.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

After shaping my baits I like to give them a coating of super glue. I just rub it in all over the bait with my finger trying to get it equally distibuted. As long as you keep your finger moving it won't stick to the bait. The super glue is thin enough that it is soaked into the wood making a hard surface. When the glue dries the bait is then given a sanding to a smooth finish. After applying the super glue the bait is then given a coat of 30 minute epoxy and placed on the lure turner until the epoxy cures enough to be handled. This is usually around 45 minutes. If there are still imperfections in the finish it is given another light sanding with 400 grit sandpaper to smooth out any blemishes before painting. The coating of super glue is not absolutely necessary, but I like the way it strengthens the wood surface. The epoxy coating is to seal and protect the wood from water intrusion.

There are quite a few places to purchase balsa, and a variety of other woods, online. Some of them may even be close to you. Just google "balsa suppliers" and you will come up with a number of sites that sell it. There are several different grades of balsa. They are graded by the density and if you want a certain type you will have to specify which grade you want.

Ben

Ben, I have been wondering for some time how the super glued is applied. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Personally have avoided ever letting the stuff touch my fingers with a passion since I was six when i glued my fingers together. A nightmare. :eek:

Ben, I have been wondering for some time how the super glued is applied. Thank you for clearing that up for me. Personally have avoided ever letting the stuff touch my fingers with a passion since I was six when i glued my fingers together. A nightmare. :eek:

I've come close to having that happen Vic. Surprisingly not while applying glue on a bait though. It usually happens, to me at least, when I'm trying to glue something small together and you don't see that little bit that runs down the backside of whatever it is your trying to glue together and gets on your fingers. I have had the super glue build up on my finger when coating multiple baits and I don't keep it wiped it off. That's not a biggie though. A little 120 grit sandpaper will take most of it off and whatever is left is thin enough that it can be peeled off later.

Ben

Just an aside about Superglue - it works great to fix those painful skin splits on your fingers that occur in the wintertime!

I often coat the bait with 30 minute epoxy which levels out very well over balsa imperfections. If any imperfections remain when it's cured, I'll give it another coat. You want to be careful not to sand back into soft balsa after you undercoat the bait. Alternatively, you can dip raw balsa baits multiple times in an acetone/propionate solution to build up a nice smooth surface. I use either method and both work fine. I tend to use epoxy in warm weather and propionate in cold weather because I work in an unheated garage.

I use a rubber glove to apply super glue. I get the type gloves that are made to be used around chemicals, not the cheap vinyl type. Just apply a small amount of super glue to the bait and to the glove and keep your finger moving while applying the glue to the bait. After you have built up some super glue on the glove you don't have to work so fast.This works a lot better for me and I don't have to dip my finger in acetone to get the glue off, just throw away the glove.

Hey Bob, I use superglue on those finger splits too, and it also works well for those cuts caused by a sharp blade.

I buy my balsa at hobby stores: most of them have a display of Midwest balsa and basswood boards. I like a good medium grade of balsa myself, as it is easily worked with sandpaper, and has better buoyancy than the really hard grades. When I use superglue on balsa, I apply it with a cheap kids' brush from Walmart. I always seal balsa baits with epoxy before painting.