littleriver

Tackleunderground Hardbait Tip Of The Day!

Here is a little meat courtesy of long time contributor Lincoya. Thank you Gene for this gem!

Here is a photo of my own cobbled setup.

P2295226.JPG

My own cheap router is now mounted under the bench with what I had available and is now a dedicated bib maker. Still need to cleanup this mount but working well.

I cannot over emphasize how easy this was and what a huge time saver it is. I can make ten bibs in the time it used to take to make one. The results are perfect and exactly the same every time. Very powerful stuff.

It is important to work bib in a counter clockwise rotation as Gene demonstrates. Try going the other way and it will tend to grab. I found slowest speed was best for me because if it did grab was much easier to control template. Also felt safer with bit just exposed enough to do the job. Finally , I chose to leave backing on lexan. No clean up required and sticks well to template.

Littleriver

P2295226.JPG

P2295226.JPG

P2295226.JPG

P2295226.JPG

P2295226.JPG

P2295226.JPG

P2295226.JPG

post-26144-0-66962600-1330542026_thumb.jpg

Man, you are brave!

I guess if I had to make a bunch of lips at one, or needed to repeat the process exactly, that would be a good way to go.

I've worked with routers my whole adult life, and I would never try to route something that small, unless there was no other way.

Call me chicken.

Mark,

If you'll notice in the video and in LittleRiver's photo, there is a handle on the template. I use a dowel and Vic is using a drill bit. That gives you something to hold onto and keeps your fingers above the bit. "Chicken"? Yeah, me, too. You should see my hands and fingers now. It took me a long time to "smarten-up". I'm much better now though.

Gene

Edited by Lincoya

Mark, I hear your concerns and understand them having used this method. You have given me an idea. I will post it as soon as i can make it. Thank you.

My father is a retired butcher by trade. He severed both index fingers with a band saw. He still has them but not much movement with the pins and arthritis that has set in.

Hahaha Gene. Giving blood like that is way overrated!

I saw the handle, and it does look safer. I'm just oversensitive. My hands hurt whenever I see someone else putting theirs in danger.

I hear you Mark, I too am a carpenter and do not like blood letting in any way shape or form. Even if isn't mine! Fortunately, I have all my fingers and haven't had an accident with any power tool. Knock on balsa or pvc which ever you prefer. :?

John

I find it less scary than it may look. Very limited blade exposure. Very small cutting surface. When it grabs it throws your hand and template away from blade. The grabbing is preventable by keeping the template flat while engaged with blade. And work in a counter clockwise motion. Follow these two rules and it is really is a smooth operation. Not wanting to down play the danger but neither hype it ; If you touch the blade you are cut like anything else in the shop just faster. The only question is how deep and wide is it. So do not touch the blade. The template photoed is the smallest bib I make and it made it in a cinch with ease. However, I believe a smoother, slicker surface would be even better.

Ben Looks like formica would be a good choice but the cost is too high. maybe I'll see a counter top on the street from a remodel some day. I think Laminate flooring would be too rough. Still looking. Thank you Ben.

Vic

Good topic! I've been using the router to make bibs for a while but I do it a little different than Gene. You cut the shape you want your lip to be at the end of a long(12" or so) 2" wide 3/4" thick piece of wood. Then add a thin piece of wood to the underside, minus the lip shape. This provides a shoulder for the "flat" end of the bib blank to reference and elevates it off the table slightly( this is to provide clearance for a small screw head). The bib is screwed to the underside of the template through a predrilled hole which will later be the line tie location. If you are making small bibs without a line tie in them, use a piece of the same thickness lexan as your spacer so you have zero clearance off the table. Secure with double face tape and/or drill a small countersunk hole in the bib, where it will be hidden in the lip slot, and secure it with a small screw. I like to use a round over bit for this so I can get a tapered sharp leading edge to the bib. I haven't tried Gene's method but it seems like it would be a bit "tippy" to me.

I don't have any shots of the jigs but heres a crappy picture of some of the bibs. These were actually cut from rectangles so I was removing alot of material with the router.

throughwire-1-1.jpg

Hi Woodenfeather

I took a bit of what you said and came up with this jig. Even made a bib with it. Very stable and not tippy at all. Like your use of of round over bit as well. Thanks you for sharing.

Here is some photos of my jig made from your idea.

P3025238.JPG

P3025239.JPG

P3025240.JPG

Something I think would make this better would be to use two key shafts or key with a different shape besides round so the the template cannot turn while cutting bib.

P3025238.JPG

P3025239.JPG

P3025240.JPG

P3025238.JPG

P3025239.JPG

P3025240.JPG

P3025238.JPG

P3025239.JPG

P3025240.JPG

P3025238.JPG

P3025239.JPG

P3025240.JPG

P3025238.JPG

P3025239.JPG

P3025240.JPG

P3025238.JPG

P3025239.JPG

P3025240.JPG

P3025238.JPG

P3025239.JPG

P3025240.JPG

post-26144-0-28936700-1330704395_thumb.jpg

post-26144-0-20432800-1330704450_thumb.jpg

post-26144-0-11288700-1330704505_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have cut over 500 lips with the router setup in the video and have had very few problems it. The biggest issue that I have is, if I use a piece of Lexan that has a lot of excess material around the edges of my template, it wants to grab it more. I solve that problem by keeping the excess to a minimum. Another minor problem is, after you cut several lips, your tape starts to lose it's "sticky" and your Lexan will shift. Just replace your tape regularly and you won't have any problems. I don't find that the templates are "tippy".

As far as for your safety concerns, it is mildly unsafe. But as Vic stated, keep a minimal amount of the cutting edge of your bit exposed and you shouldn't have any problems.

Gene

Hi Rob

My choice of the bit was more to do with what i had than what was ideal. Honestly this cheap HF bit is way more useful now than it ever was as a drill bit. :eek: Also like to say I have never had the jig get away from me but I guess it could happen. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

If you know any carpenters in your area check with them as they could possibly have some left overs from a job. You might also check with your local builders supply to see if they have some that is scratched or has a corner broken off. If so they might sell it to you at a reduced price.

Ben