djj7

E-tex Over Fluorescent Paint Problem

I have noticed that an e-tex finish will be spotty and wrinkled if I have handled a lure much after painting but before topcoating. Avoiding touching the lure, wearing plastic gloves, and/or cleaning with alcohol has solved this problem.

Now I am seeing the same thing happening with e-tex over Rust Oleum fluorescent orange and yellow. I tried cleaning them with alcohol first in case there were solvents or something on the surface, but it didn't help.

Lures finished at the same time with RustO regular pigments do not exhibit this problem, neither do non-flouro parts of the same lures.

This is not the paint wrinkling but the e-tex coat. Has anyone else experienced this, and found a solution?

D.J.

I've used rustoleum fluorescent orange, yellow, pink, and green with envirotex without problems last summer. Not sure what could be causing this because epoxy is the most inert substance I've used.... Rustoleum on the other hand just doesn't play nice, particularly their silver. But I've never seen it react with etex.

What are you using as a primer? How long are you leting the primer/rustoleum dry?

Oops,

My mistake, I just took another look at the cans, and the flourescents are called "Premium Decor" made by an Illinois company called GPM. The paint dried 48 hours, so I'm guessing that's not the problem.

I still need to find a solution, since I have several more lures already painted with the stuff.

D.J.

When you mix and match different types of paint you sometimes run into this problem. Especially when the top coats being used have solvents in them that don't get along with the solvents in some of the paint. Etex is an epoxy which is probably the most inert top coat there is. I think I read somewhere though that Etex has some type of solvent in it to keep it fluid for longer periods of time so it can level out when using it for pouring bar tops, kitchen counters and things like that. (it's intended purpose) I tried using a rattle can paint for base coating. Everything looked great until I applied the top coat and then the whole paint job wrinkled before you could say don't do it. If I were still looking for a fast and easy way to base coat lures I would try to find a laquer or acryllic paint that the lures could be dipped in.

Ben