Painting Rapala Shad Rap Old Crawfish Color

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vabassen02

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Guys, I have tried a bunch of times . Need help matching that goldesh/yellow body , brownish/red top and the biggest thing is that black scale pattern on its sides . How in the world you get that ? I tried painting that area with the black base coat but the gold changes color with the rest of bait . Its the same scale pattern on its natural shad . Its a old pattern .

Any help would be great , also what tools on books do ya'll use to match up colors ? Where can I get them ?

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Here's a Color Wheel site that give you a basic idea of how to mix primary colors to get secondary and tertiary colors. If you Google "color wheel", you'll get lots of explanations and examples.

#3 Juice780

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

I've painted that pattern before to get the copper gold color start with yellow then add pearl gold and a small amount of light brown and should be close. I use createx paint. The scale patern is hard to duplicate I normally spray a little orange across the back then use dark brown and it's pretty close. The shad raps I have are more of a dark brown back with dark brown scales.