Kris

Help With Using A Certain Type Of Scale Material

I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips or suggestions on how to use the scale material that produces the 'diamond' shape.

I know that you can use shower poofs and bags found at the grocery store.

What I'm having trouble with is getting it wrapped around the bait.

I was thinking of trying to put the material in one of those cross stitch loops you can get at fabric or hobby stores. The only problem I see with this method is that you will only

be able to paint the scales on the side of the bait. But not the top or bottom of the bait.

Here is how I do it. I use the thule you get at hobby stores. Cut a 5 inch piece off the roll. Lay it over the lure. Clamp the thule to the front hook hanger with small hemostats or aligator clips.. then pull the thule tight and clamp the back hanger. Wrap the thule up underneath and clamp onto belly hook with hemostats.

I use to tongue depressors and a couple small binder clamps to hold my netting. Wrap the netting over the bait and then place a tongue depressor on each side of the netting under the belly. Then just clip the binder clamps onto the tongue depressors. It's easy to pull the netting tight this way. Just remove one clamp and pull the netting tight between the tongue depressors and put the clamp back on. Do the same thing to the other end and your ready to paint. If you use hemostats to hold your bait when painting just clamp them onto the tongue depressors or you can just hold them in your hand.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

How handy a method is depends on how you hold your baits for painting. Some guys clamp baits onto a stationary fixture so both hands are free during airbrushing. Using netting clamped in an embroidrery hoop works fine for them. If you hold baits with a hemostat in your off hand, you would need a 3rd hand to airbrush the bait using a hoop. I hold baits with a hemostat, so have to wrap the netting over the top of the bait and clamp it with clothes pins at the belly (and top as needed).

Have a look at this vid he uses a hoop thingo with netting.

I was using a series of clamps on the netting the other day and the bait I painted with a good quality paint worked out well, whilst the one I painted with thinned hobby paint was a wreck!!!.

Whith the good quality paint it only took two passes with the airbrush and the thinned took multiple to get the desied density.

Tony

p.s playing arond with netting stretched over cheap canvas stretchers. Going to try them hinged and seperate.

Just gotta grow a third arm :)

the way i do it is a lil messier but i also am wearing gloves so its not a big deal - i actually just wrap the netting around the lure and then hold it tight between my index and bird fingers - it gets warm for a secont to heat set (im just using a cheap hair dryer) but i heat set for a few seconds to dry it enough to remove the material and then go back to my normal method of holding lures to paint (a pair of small vise grips on the bill) and do a good heat set