UNO

Pouring 1 Piece Mold

Pouring in a 1 piece pop mold, what are some of the keys to getting a really good flat side? Learned the importance of not over filling last night and tried trimming the excess with an exacto knife and scissors. The results were less than stellar. Are there other ways to get a nice looking flat side or is it just really important to get it right on the pour? Thanks for all the help.

Posted a pic in the gallery for reference to my question on the flat side.

All I pour is open one pc molds, RTV, and with a Presto pot with valve, I pour my molds and never have to trim lures. Now to stop the lure from having a con cave top, you would have to let it sit a short time and add some plastic. For fishing, I never worry about concave, it makes a nice hook indention. The colder temp you can pour your plastic the less shrinkage you will have in the lure inside the mold.

Thanks, guys. I will try that. I am heating to 320-340 for injection. How cold can I go for hand pour?

Like Kajan said as low as you can ... Now this will vary .. If you are pouring from a Presto you have to watch the flow from the valve ... If you get it to low you will stop the flow ...

use a butter knife of something similar, heat it with a propane torch and use it to flatten,ect.. its works well as a way to attach appendages aswell, this method works well if you keep you "tool" clean with a rag and razor blade to scrape the burnt plastic off- this method is smoky/stinky so ventalate- but you will not be disapointed.. you need to keep the "tool" hot-hot for a smoth fin. pour out a glob of platisol on something and exp. with it first, also when your done with the pour you can use a torch to give your lures a nive shinny wet look, but keep the torch moving 6-8" away and sweep back and forth like your spraypainting/airbrushing something.