Fishergirl

Blanks Or Paint Overs?

Hi all, I've been a lurking memeber of this forum for a little while now. I started airbrushing hard baits about 2 years ago, and while I don't find the time to do it as often as I would like, I really enjoy it. My husband builds custom rods, and I paint lures.

My question is those of you who do not carve/shape your own lures, do you use blank bodies or do you use store bought lures and paint your own design. I've mainly stuck to blanks, but I find it difficult to find quality blanks that run well or that hold up to regular use. I've painted over a few store bought lures, but I have a hard time painting over a perfectly good lure mainly because I lack the confidence in my own work, I guess!

Any suggestions as to where I can get good quality hard bait blanks?

I'm with you - it's a major disappointment to buy a blank, finish it, and then find that it's a complete dud! I think you have to pick and choose wherever you buy them - each seller has winners and losers. For me, the most consistent have come from Bustin Bass Baits, especially those advertised as "high quality Japanese manufacture". Janns Netcraft also sells a few good ones, including their very smallest fat pastic unpainted bait. I think Janns also has chromed Megabass Ito 110 jerkbait knockoffs. Not saying there aren't others from these two sources, or others, that aren't good - these are just the ones I tried and liked.

You can do worse than delve into the $1 bin at a local Walmart, Gander Mountain, or Dick's to get "known good" commercial baits which did not sell because of unpopular color patterns. At least you will know they will work based on your own experience.

Welcome to TU Fishergirl.

I've only tried painting a couple of different "blanks" as you called them and was dissapointed in about half of them. That's not saying there aren't some good ones out there, but they are all "knockoffs" as they're called around here. At least the ones claiming to be name brand baits. Most of the knockoffs are made in China and while they look amazingly close to the brand name baits they usually don't have the same balance, sound, internal construction and action as the name brand baits. I've read that Jann's Netcraft has some good unpainted baits as well as Predator and Bustin' Bass Baits. As far as name brand lures selling unpainted baits the only one I know who does this is Norman and they are a clear bait with a top coat on it. They will still cost you just as much as one of their baits that are painted though. The good thing is you won 't have to worry about removing any old paint and top coat.

Enjoy your stay here at TU and post some of your work in the gallery.

Ben

Check www.unpaintedlures.com I have bought, painted and sold a bunch with never an issue with the blank. Good quality and I have never had one fail. I also buy and paint a bunch from Predator Bass baits and Bustin Bass with the same out come. All three have a great selection of different styles to choose from, good prices and all ship quickly.

Edited by OSScustom
  • Like 1

G'day from Oz

I am a new member who has also lurked around the site picking up good info. I have made large timber poppers and walk the dog lures in the past but recently began painting blanks - really small lures in the 1 to 1 1/2 inch range.

The reasons apart from the fact that I enjoy doing it are the satisfaction of catching fish on something I "made" and the cost. Here in Australia good crankbaits cost $15 to $20 plus and if you are throwing them into oyster covered rocks on 4 lb trace it can get expensive:)

I have sourced good blanks from Bustinbassbaits and a local supplier but I try to buy a few to test before I get a bigger order. I also know that I am not always buying a known brand - it may well need tuning or sealing to prevent water leaks but I have had great success with them and I no longer swear (much) when I lose one.

Will post some photos but please don't be too critical - I make them to be expendable, not works of art

im also from alabama and another good place to look if you have free weekends ive found is trade days, flea markets, and even yard/estate sales - alot of the time you can find mass quanities of lures someone is selling for nothing just to be rid of them since they dont fish and it belonged to a family member or such that passed away - you can get the real lures for good deals and usually a very wide variety in patterns and such

• Like 1

If your a fan of Lucky Craft RC's, Sammy's, and Pointer"s as I am, Iv'e found that the Academy H2O house bait is just as close as you can get. Their lure molds are supposed to be the same as Lucky craft. At the price ($15 and up vs $4 or so) I can repaint them and get just the right patterns and know that I'll a true running and action bait without breaking the bank.

No you can't get blanks from Academy, but I paint just as you would any repaint. Scuff or strip and have at it. I watch for reduced price or closeouts of non selling colors and spend per bait about or a little more than good blanks but don't have the worry of getting a blank that won't run true. And their installed hardware is top notch.

No you can't get blanks from Academy, but I paint just as you would any repaint. Scuff or strip and have at it. I watch for reduced price or closeouts of non selling colors and spend per bait about or a little more than good blanks but don't have the worry of getting a blank that won't run true. And their installed hardware is top notch.