lukeatgouldsboro

How Long Between Coats ?

Createx is a T shirt paint, so it can be recoated immediately after heat setting the previous coat.

If you're painting wood baits, and using a primer, it's usually best to wait overnight for the primer to lose all of it's solvents before you begin the Createx painting. Even water based primers seem to take longer to dry, probably because they are designed to bond to the sealer, and promote adhesion of the finished paint. I'm no chemist, so I can's say for sure.

I can tell you that painting over primer that's not fully set/cured can result in bubbles in your Createx, when you heat set it, as any trapped solvent is heated and turns to gas as it tries to escape.

But, once the primer has set, you can do as many coats of Createx as you want, just as long as you heat set between coats.

Try to keep the Createx coats thin, so they dry quicker and there is less chance of trapped water. Thick coats of Createx can skin over, feel dry, but be soft because there is uncured paint with water still in it beneath the skin.

Thoroughly heat setting the Createx is critical.

Having a paint scheme ruined because you tried to put the paint on too heavy, and it didn't completely set, is no fun. Been there, done that.

I use a cheap, 2 speed hair dryer.

I use the lower setting to dry the paint. The lower fan speed is more gentle on the wet paint.

Once the paint looks flat, instead of wet, I switch to high, and heat set it for ten seconds or so, to really get the paint hot, and encourage the cross linking of the paint.

I don't know if my hair dryer is hot enough to achieve a full heat set, but I've never had a problem, as long as I've used multiple thin coats.

I have a heat gun, but have never tried it on my paint. It gets really hot, and I only use it for powder coating.

But others use them and it works for them. I'm sure it's an acquired skill that I haven't acquired!

I'm just a chicken.

I use Bustin Bass bait, too. I don't prime them at all. I just dip them quickly into clean acetone, or brush it over the bait, to make the surface virgin plastic again, and then go right to my Createx. It bonds fine.

Just try to keep the acetone off the bills.

I do the same for repaints. The acetone softens the factory finish enough to get a really good bond with the new Createx paint.

I bought some cheap hemostats online, and I hold baits with them by the hook hangers when I'm painting, and also when I'm applying the acetone cleaner.

You can find some here:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=hemostats&gs_upl=&ix=seb&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=909&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6473469804901399577&sa=X&ei=svdIT62aCIiXiQKlg9HbDQ&ved=0CGgQ8wIwAQ