CatchemCaro

Help Needed In Painting A Rainbow Trout.

Hi all

I'm using Createx paints and I'm working on improving my trout paturns. I have a few formulas that are just OK. I would really like to paint a more realistic trout then the ones Im doing now. I'll post some pictures of the few Im working on now as soon as their done with clear coat. Video tutorials would be great, but I'll take an information / formula for painting a beautiful trout with createx paints. Thanks

Rich

DSCN7540.JPG

DSCN7540.JPG

DSCN7540.JPG

DSCN7540.JPG

DSCN7540.JPG

DSCN7540.JPG

DSCN7540.JPG

DSCN7540.JPG

post-23496-0-78583500-1330188432_thumb.jpg

Trout patterns can be very intricate and complex in their formula. Guys who do them well usually dont give up their basics to getting the effects.

A good starting place for better understanding would be to check out some of the taxidermist supply places for paints and even some vids on their paint techniques, makes great reference and lays good groundwork to mastering your own signature trout painting style.

A clue to the masters of near taxidermy quality trout paint work would be attention to detail in blending and shading of the base coats, and use of very transparent paints for shading and detail work. Heavy handed effects and thick opaque paints muddy the beauty of a good trout pattern.

I'll look up my colors and post them in the morning for you but my trout colors for a rainbow are pretty easy

white base coat

pearl white thru fine fine mesh netting

light green back

transparent pink from just about 1/2 of the gill plate to the tail just below the green(just a slight over spray of the greens lower edge)

and black spots down the sides and top of the back with more spots on the upper part of the lure and less as you work down stopping 2/3 of the way down leaving the belly pearl white

then lightly spraying the back and shoulders with a hint of black hope this helps theres also a pic in the photo gallery of some fish decoys i did in trout colors if you would like to see the colors

Edited by crankpaint

Trout patterns can be very intricate and complex in their formula. Guys who do them well usually dont give up their basics to getting the effects.

A good starting place for better understanding would be to check out some of the taxidermist supply places for paints and even some vids on their paint techniques, makes great reference and lays good groundwork to mastering your own signature trout painting style.

A clue to the masters of near taxidermy quality trout paint work would be attention to detail in blending and shading of the base coats, and use of very transparent paints for shading and detail work. Heavy handed effects and thick opaque paints muddy the beauty of a good trout pattern.

What he said..... If your going to paint trout ya can't get'r done w/o some taxidermy paint; trout greens, gill red, trans violet, & pathlo blue. Those colors are a must have but any other createx color will do for the rest. Just because it looks like a pink gill cover or a green back doesnt mean it isn't 2 or 3 different shades. Ya need a white pearl belly, silver pearl from the middle down, and gold from the lat line up and across the back. For instance I would use the negative part of the stencil you cut to paint the outline of the gill cover. Put it in place and paint the gill pink shooting it towards the eye so you get a hard line around the stencil but a natural spray over towards the eye. Then come back and hit it again with gill red. This will give you the right fade and the hard line should give a raised effect. Use gill red for the lateral stripe. Use the trans violet and paint a line above the red, then blue below the red line. Light trout green on the shoulders and med trout green on the back. Ya got to have gold under the green, silver under the blue, gold under the gill cover, and 50/50 gold/silver under the red lateral line. Of course nothing is complete w/o some shimmer gold and green to finish it off. Its all about the fade my friend. This is just my opinion and what works for me......