psilvers

Brushes For D2t

I am looking to get some brushes for my clear coat. I have looked at the disposable brushes in my area, and they only make them in pretty small widths. Since I am coating larger jigs - 1-4 oz - I want some brushes that are a bit wider. I have had pretty good success in reusing fairly cheap (1.e. ~$2-3) brushes by washing them in alcohol as soon as I am done coating. I want to get some more of these brushes, but I am wondering what would be best for busting bubbles and getting a good clear coat

1- a nice soft bristle

2- a rather stiff bristle

I am looking at brushes that have fairly fine bristles, but they have different characteristics. Which would you guys choose?

Thanks,

Pete

That is tough choice Pete, I think the stiff bristle brush would be good for busting the bubbles but the soft bristle brush might not leave many bubbles and since there are ways to deal with bubbles other than going over the bait with a brush, I'd have to say the soft bristle brush. You may still get bubbles but the soft bristle brush is less likely to cauce them if you do get them you would get far fewer using the soft.

While I don't do jigs I have coated quite a few crankbaits with epoxy. I have used several different types of brushes before deciding on the ones I use now. My personal choice is to use an artists brush with natural hair. The bristles are soft and the brushes hold plenty of epoxy. I had more issues with bubbles when using the harder bristled acid brushes that some people use. The artists brushes with synthetic fibers were much better than the acid brushes, but still not as good as the natural hair brushes. I don't know the reason for this. Just that this is what works for me.

Ben

I am looking to get some brushes for my clear coat. I have looked at the disposable brushes in my area, and they only make them in pretty small widths. Since I am coating larger jigs - 1-4 oz - I want some brushes that are a bit wider. I have had pretty good success in reusing fairly cheap (1.e. ~$2-3) brushes by washing them in alcohol as soon as I am done coating. I want to get some more of these brushes, but I am wondering what would be best for busting bubbles and getting a good clear coat

1- a nice soft bristle

2- a rather stiff bristle

I am looking at brushes that have fairly fine bristles, but they have different characteristics. Which would you guys choose?

Thanks,

Pete